Mercury Thunderbolt 4 HP or Eska 3.5 HP

Evinrude_NooB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I saw two listing for used small tillers.

One is a Mercury Thunderbolt 4 HP. Looks to be from the late 60's or early 70's.
One is an Eska 3.5 HP.

Conditions of both are unknown. So if I were to have to pick one to buy and work on, which do you think would be the 'easier' one to work on and get parts?

If you recognize either of those motors and now the specs, please let me know. I'm leaning towards the Mercury.

eska 3.5_2.jpgmercury 4hp.jpgmercury 4hp_2.jpgeska 3.5.jpg

Last edited:

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Mercury Thunderbolt 4 HP or Eska 3.5 HP

The 4hp mercury is a far better outboard and easy to find parts for in my experience. The eska I would not own. Keep in mind, that merc does not have a head gasket and has to be bored by a special tool that bores blind holes. In other words, check compression and if no good, don't buy. Mild steel drive shaft---lower unit oil milky or water fouled, don't buy.
JBJ
I saw two listing for used small tillers.

One is a Mercury Thunderbolt 4 HP. Looks to be from the late 60's or early 70's.
One is an Eska 3.5 HP.

Conditions of both are unknown. So if I were to have to pick one to buy and work on, which do you think would be the 'easier' one to work on and get parts?

If you recognize either of those motors and now the specs, please let me know. I'm leaning towards the Mercury.

View attachment 211643View attachment 211644View attachment 211645View attachment 211646

Last edited:

Evinrude_NooB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Sears branded Eska. Runs pretty strong, although having issues with shifting at the moment. That's topic in another thread.

matt167

Captain

Depends on the price difference. Merc is obviously better but Eska was a LOT simpler... Eska used Tecumseh powerheads which were basically 2 stroke lawnmower engines and were air cooled except the exhaust.. Primitive sure, but because of that, quite a bit is available for them right at your local mower shop. Carb rebuilds, ignition parts, and some old shop might even have internal parts

The Merc's were great engines, parts are relatively easy to get but can be expensive. I'd say, if you could get the Eska for $100 or less, it would be what I would buy, but I wouldn't spend more than that because there is no brand value in an Eska like there is in a Merc or OMC