OMC/BRP Cables vs.Teleflex

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Snapped a throttle cable over the weekend and am just gonna replace all 4 (twin Evinrudes). Pulled one out and they appear to be original OMC cables from 1996.

I was gonna go with OMC/BRP again since these lasted 17 years, but have been hearing/reading a lot about the Teleflex Extreme cables.

I priced out the OMC ones and they are just about $100 each. From what I see the Teleflex are about 1/2 that or so, maybe $60 each.

Is there any advantage to the OMC cables over Teleflex, is the extra money worth it? I don't mind paying it if it is, but I do mind paying it if the Teleflex are just as good....if not better.

I've searched around a bit and see a lot of guys have used the TFExtreme but don't really see any opinions on them over stock cables. I'd rather not do this job again anytime soon, not that I'm gonna push them for 17 years, but I don't want to do it for at least 10. Boat gets about 70hrs a year. I just bought it this year and noticed the Stbd side was a bit stiff, so it's not like I pushed these 17 years...only pushed them the last 40hrs or so.

Thanks.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC/BRP Cables vs.Teleflex

IMHO. I'd go with the Teleflex as I heard the are making them for BRP.