Evinrude E-Tec or Suzuki

skaggst

Seaman Apprentice
Replacing a worn out Mercury 500 50hp and looking at an Evinrude e-tech 40hp or a Suzuki 40hp....The motor will be put on a 16 foot SeaArk duck boat rated for 50hp. Ruled out Mercs (sorry), and can't afford a Honda or Yamaha. Any thoughts, advice, opinions or other sage words of advice are certainly appreciated.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Evinrude E-Tec or Suzuki

Who has the best support/dealer in your area? Regardless of brand the best dealer support would be very important on my list. If one brand is closer etc.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I'm a big fan of the etec power, emissions, performance and dealer support all contribute to my comments. I cant say I have deep knowledge on the Suzuki though.

skaggst

Seaman Apprentice

I live in the mountains in Colorado and the Suzuki dealer is an hour closer, been in business 20 years selling Suzuki's and is about 5 miles from Pueblo Reservoir for testing.......the Etec dealer is small shop 2 hours away.......I think I'm going with the Suzuki.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree, Dealer service is very important.

82rude

Rear Admiral

2 hours up here is going for a pack of smokes distance.my little town(70,000) has no rude,yamaha,suziki,dealers as of now.i went to another country to get my etec (u.s.a).all we have left is a merc and a Honda dealer.starting to see more etec,s around so somebody in Michigan is selling to Canadians and making money.i absolutely love my 60 etec (2011).it has tons of low end grunt ,stellar fuel economy,ultra quite.it starts in about 3/4 turn of the flywheel every time though I have to keep reminding myself that the so called warmup lever is only for winterisation which takes approx. 2 minutes total.what I liked was the fact that there was no breakin period (computer adds extra oil for first few hours) and I got a 6 year warrenty.dealer where I bought has a good reputation for service and pricing.what I also liked was I got the rigging ,extra oil,setup,prop ,all thrown in for no charge.he even stored my old 90 for a few and found me a buyer for it with no extra charge there either.dont discount the etec just for a few miles extra expecially if you like 2stroke power and punch.also I might add 2 stroke smell and smoke is a thing of the past with the etec .with this proably being the last new motor I ever buy I thought long and hard before I decided on the etec.the only other motor I was even concidering was the yammy f70.up here suzzys are rarer than 3 dollar bills.