2005 15 hp Johnson 2 stroke value?

Geauxfish11

Cadet
I am in the market for a 15 hp 2 stroke for my 14ft Jon boat. I recently found a local ad for a 2005 Johnson 15 hp 2 stroke rope start with 6 gal gas tank and fuel line/connections for sale asking $2,200. He claims it has low hours (less than 10) and the pictures show a motor that looks basically brand new. No visible scratches on the skeg or prop. I just want to know I'm getting a fair price.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 2005 15 hp Johnson 2 stroke value?

Check out the price of a new 15hp and determine if it's fair to you. How available is a 15hp in your area in really nice shape?
If it runs really well, you can easily get 2200$ worth of fun out of it.
I personally think that's a little high because you could get a 25hp for around that price and I like a 25hp better. But if you're wanting a 15hp and it's in that good of condition, and you can TEST it out ON THE LAKE, buy it and don't worry about it. I can assure you, there's always a better deal around the corner the day after you buy one, no matter what price you pay for it.
I would under NO circumstances pay that much unless I could test it on the lake and test compression. I'd go with cash and demand a lake test or not buy it, period.