2 stroke starting fluid with oil?

Number21

Seaman
For some reason I'm a fan of old outboards, and they aren't known for being completely reliable. I don't take the boat out without some starting fluid, though the thought of using it in my 2 stroke makes me cringe. Does anybody make 2 stroke starting fluid with oil in it? The stuff I have now claims to have "upper cylinder lubricant", but there is no oil on the ingredients list and it dries without a residue, so I don't believe it...

82rude

Rear Admiral
Re: 2 stroke starting fluid with oil?

why not just use a spray bottle and mix up a batch of your fuel in it?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Or use aerosol Sea Foam. Look it up on the www.

Mark

nwcove

Admiral

For some reason I'm a fan of old outboards, and they aren't known for being completely reliable. I don't take the boat out without some starting fluid, though the thought of using it in my 2 stroke makes me cringe. Does anybody make 2 stroke starting fluid with oil in it? The stuff I have now claims to have "upper cylinder lubricant", but there is no oil on the ingredients list and it dries without a residue, so I don't believe it...

jmo, but if you think you need , or have to use starting fluid of any kind.....its time for a tune up or repower! my motors from the 1950s are every bit as reliable as anything made today.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I concur! If it's broke - fix it! If it takes more than 2-3 pulls to start, something is either wrong with the motor or your starting method.

Number21

Seaman

why not just use a spray bottle and mix up a batch of your fuel in it?
I want ether. Just today my 1964 Mercury 1000 wouldn't start 12 miles from the ramp. Primed it until gas squirted out of the carbs, no start. Quick shot of ether and it fired right up.

Is there a reason they cannot put some 2 stroke oil in a can of ether? That would be nice on 4 stroke engines as well...

jmo, but if you think you need , or have to use starting fluid of any kind.....its time for a tune up or repower! my motors from the 1950s are every bit as reliable as anything made today.
I doubt you will find many people who agree 1950s motors are as reliable as something new. Do you not take any tools out with you either? I bring a bucket full of tools. Starting fluid is one of them.

Yeah, I'm sure it would run great if I completely tore it apart, cleaned it, and rebuilt everything. I'm sure I'd look better and live longer if I stopped eating cheeseburgers and ran 10 miles a day, but that's not going to happen either. I've got a bunch of old boats and old motors and inevitably they will refuse to start at the worst possible time...

matt167

Captain

Keep dry starting your motors and they are only going to get worse. Ether displaces oil so even if you put oil in the can with the ether, it's not going to do anything, but dry starting a 2 stroke with Ether is not helping the rings or the bores.. 1950's-1960's 2 strokes are as simple as they get. Fuel spark and air and they run, but the systems need to be in good tune and in good operating condition

Number21

Seaman

but the systems need to be in good tune and in good operating condition
Yeah yeah. Do you never have a mechanical failure because your motors are in such great running condition? If so good for you. My boat isn't an airplane so I don't treat it that way. I paid $1000 for it and even if I seized the motor I can part it out for more than that. I consider it disposable. The fact that you can find regular starting fluid just about anywhere says there are a lot of people who like to use it - right or wrong. Motor is already worn out so I'm just going to run it until it blows, then grab another from my pile...

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

HAHAHA....that's why all those people need tows every weekend. Forget the airplane, they don't even treat them as well as their old rusty car!

In my case, with Niagara falls in sight you can bet my engines are treated better than an airplane.

To answer your question, your tank has oil in it right? When it fires up it'll get oil laden gas right? Your motor is all oily inside right? IMHO, a few seconds of starter fluid to get her turning won't eliminate the oil already in there, so I wouldn't worry about it.

matt167

Captain

Every engine can suffer from a mechanical failure even in good tune, but that is no justification not to keep it in good tune, especially if you know there is a problem.. Hard starting 2 stroke can come from low compression, a weak spark issue, or of course a fuel issue... So your engine may just need a carb rebuild, a good decarb to get the rings free ( if you haven't fried them yet ) or possibly file the points and change the plugs to get the spark back again.. Your first post mentioned you were a fan of old outboards, and that you didn't like the thought of ether in a 2 stroke, but now you say they are disposable and you just don't care.. So why did you ask the question?

nwcove

Admiral

I want ether. Just today my 1964 Mercury 1000 wouldn't start 12 miles from the ramp. Primed it until gas squirted out of the carbs, no start. Quick shot of ether and it fired right up.

Is there a reason they cannot put some 2 stroke oil in a can of ether? That would be nice on 4 stroke engines as well...

#2 I doubt you will find many people who agree 1950s motors are as reliable as something new. Do you not take any tools out with you either? I bring a bucket full of tools. Starting fluid is one of them.

Yeah, I'm sure it would run great if I completely tore it apart, cleaned it, and rebuilt everything. I'm sure I'd look better and live longer if I stopped eating cheeseburgers and ran 10 miles a day, but that's not going to happen either. I've got a bunch of old boats and old motors and inevitably they will refuse to start at the worst possible time...

#1- yer the guy that refuses to maintain his gear and breaks down everytime out, effectively ruining another boaters day when they have to tow you back to the launch.jmo

#2- there are many people who use 1950's motors as their seasonal power, but they maintain them. and yes i take tools....a universal screwdriver, and a pair of vicegrips. if i had to take a bucket full of tools.....id stay home. jmo

Number21

Seaman

Every engine can suffer from a mechanical failure even in good tune, but that is no justification not to keep it in good tune
Just to be clear - this engine has been gone through by a local Merc GOD, and starts as good or better than any Mercury I've ever been anywhere near - including a 2013 model. It starts cold without the choke! It still has times when it refuses to start. Any motor, with any owner, and any amount of maintenance, can have this problem. It's as unwise to go out without starting fluid in an old boat as it is to go out without jumper cables.

Your first post mentioned you were a fan of old outboards, and that you didn't like the thought of ether in a 2 stroke, but now you say they are disposable and you just don't care.. So why did you ask the question?
I asked if there might be a better alternative. I didn't ask if I should be using starting fluid or not. I don't want to hurt a motor unnecessarily but I'm not going to inconvenience myself to save a little wear on an old motor either. I literally have an entire warehouse full of Mercury parts and motors to do with what I want.

#1- yer the guy that refuses to maintain his gear and breaks down everytime out, effectively ruining another boaters day when they have to tow you back to the launch.jmo
Now you're just being stupid. :rolleyes: Again, old boats break down. This is a fact, and a rule. I don't care how good a mechanic you think you are. Really, ruin another boater's entire day because they have to tow me back? You sound like a bitter old man. I have prepaid towing service! (Because I'm a responsible boater!) Friday I towed a guy back to the dock in an old jet boat. It took me all of 10 minutes and I had fun doing it! Met a nice guy to talk boats with! Now that I think about it somebody asked if I had any starting fluid they could barrow on the dock a few weeks ago for their V8. Got it started, I saved their boating day!

#2- there are many people who use 1950's motors as their seasonal power, but they maintain them. and yes i take tools....a universal screwdriver, and a pair of vicegrips. if i had to take a bucket full of tools.....id stay home. jmo
If you think lack of maintenance is the only reason a boat wouldn't start you shouldn't be using one.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If you think lack of maintenance is the only reason a boat wouldn't start you shouldn't be using one.
Please enlighten us.

It takes oxygen, fuel, and a source of ignition to start an internal combustion engine. The only one not maintenance related is oxygen

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Alright fellas, let's get back on topic.....

Here's the original ?.

Does anybody make 2 stroke starting fluid with oil in it?

Seafoam spray as Texasmark mentioned sounds like the ticket:
Sea Foam Spray | Sea Foam Sales Company

However:
Sea Foam Spray will aid in cold weather starting for engines that have lost cylinder lubrication due to engine flooding by restoring lubrication to the cylinder walls and aiding in restoring compression. Sea Foam Spray is not recommended for a cold weather starting fluid because the flash point is too high.

Maybe warm weather starting it would be fine...... I feel like I need to add a disclaimer..... Use at your own risk :)

Last edited:

Number21

Seaman

Sea Foam Spray is not recommended for a cold weather starting fluid because the flash point is too high.
Exactly. It may help in some situations, but when you really need an extra kick, the oil, mineral spirits, and IPA found in Seafoam won't do it.
(thank you for actually trying to answer the question)

Please enlighten us.

It takes oxygen, fuel, and a source of ignition to start an internal combustion engine. The only one not maintenance related is oxygen
:facepalm: Really? You think every time you see a boat break down, it must be because they didn't maintain something right? :facepalm: :facepalm:

Some examples of why your boat might not start that has nothing to do with maintenance:
Bad battery/charging system
Slow starter
Fouled plugs
Debris in carburetor
Bad fuel
I could go on all day, but I've got better things to do. I did not ask for anybody's holier-than-thou opinion on starting fluid.

SumDumGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some examples of why your boat might not start that has nothing to do with maintenance:
Bad battery/charging system
Slow starter
Fouled plugs
Debris in carburetor
Bad fuel
I could go on all day, but I've got better things to do. I did not ask for anybody's holier-than-thou opinion on starting fluid.

Not trying to be a jerk, but those are all things that have to do with maintenance. :watermelon:

I have heard of using WD-40 as a starting fluid, but cannot attest to its functionality.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Yes they do make starting fluid with oil in it, I have a can in the shop just for that time when nothing else works. Don't have the brand name with me though.

Number21

Seaman

Not trying to be a jerk, but those are all things that have to do with maintenance. :watermelon:
Batteries go bad. You cannot prevent this unless you are in the habbit of replacing still working batteries.
Bad batches of fuel aren't uncommon and there is no way to avoid them. This is why we have fuel filters, but they don't catch everything.
Bearings in starters and alternators can and will give out at any time, without warning.
New plugs can be fouled.
Etc, etc, etc, etc.......................

I bring starting fluid for the same reason I wear a life jacket: I don't know what's going to happen and neither does anybody else. It's not uncommon for a brand new part to fail, something the best mechanic in the world cannot avoid.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have heard of using WD-40 as a starting fluid, but cannot attest to its functionality.

At one time some aerosol cans used flammable gasses as the propellant, they don't anymore.