Honda 4 stroke or Evinrude FICHT

Shawnee

Cadet
HI

I am wanting to upgrade (don't we all....:) ) and looking at 2 Silverline boats, both 1700 LS

One is 1999 with an Evinrude 115 FICHT and the other is a 2002 with a Honda 4 stroke 115 hp. Might be a no brainer for many or all but I am new(er) to boats. I have the impression that the 4 strokes are the be all, end all so it would be the way to go. But then, I have read, here, some good stuff on the FICHT models.....

One issue is the Honda is a 9 hour drive away and the Evinrude is local. Considering the length of time I would have the boat (long time) that probably should not be a factor unless they are fairly comparable. The Honda package is a little less but with travel costs, will be the same dollars (but 3 years newer)

Some will probably ask what I want it for. Mostly water skiing and touring at slightly over idle around our small lake. So with that, good for pulling but quiet to go slow and enjoy the evening....

I know there will be some "only Honda" and "only Evinrude" enthusiasts here but it would be good to hear from you all, if you have some input.

Thanks, Cheers

Shawn

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
Re: Honda 4 stroke or Evinrude FICHT

1999evinrude vs 2002 Honda .unless the Honda is missing a powerhead and lower unit id pick it before I took a 99 ficht.just to show I don't hate e rude if we were talking new id pick the etec over a 4 poke anyday.the landscape up here is littered with ficht motors with one dealer I know personally who switched over to merc because he said he couldn't in good concence send a person out on the water with a ficht.

Last edited:

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Don't even think about the ficht.

And don't drive 9 hours to buy a used boat. You should fine a perfectly acceptable used boat within close proximity of where you live.

Anytime you buy a used boat, you want to have a qualified marine mechanic checkout the engine, drain the lower unit oil and do a pressure/vacuum test on the lower unit. (Seals are a $300 job.) You also should have the bearings cleaned and repacked with grease prior to driving very far home.

You don't want any surprises or frustrations.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

no way on the Ficht.

Depending on where you are in Ontario, a 9 hour drive is like a grocery run.

And good used boats like the one you are looking at can be few and far between in the bush country.

Take the weekend drive.

82rude

Rear Admiral

as roscoe says 9 hours is a grocery run Bamaman1!think texas ,then think way bigger!

QuietRider21

Seaman

i'm baffled about where you read good things about FICHT motors..A few years ago i considered a boat with a Ficht until i read horror story after horror story. I see very few complaints, if any, about Honda's.
If you do decide to make a long trip for a boat/motor, make sure you get a ton of pictures before hand. You would hate to get there and see something you didnt expect..

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

HI

I am wanting to upgrade (don't we all....:) )

Not me...I'm quite satisfied with what i have...

While FICHT is what put OMC into bankruptcy, Its my understanding that there were a few models that didn't self destruct. Before you discount that one, do more research and find out if that specific model is on the craplist.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No way on the Ficht. e-tec-Different story.

My dealings with Honda have been dismal. My dealings with BRP-stellar.

Shawnee

Cadet

Thanks all for the input. Perhaps I did not read enough about the FICHT. It may be sold anyways. The Honda package is looking better as I get more info but due to seller being away, and then me, and then work schedules, it could be a while before we hook up. I will post more when I have more.

Thanks again

Shawn

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I'm actually a fan of FICHT motors and I agree, the Honda is a better option.

The V4 FICHT weren't all bad and in fact probably the best of the bunch. The V6s are where most of the issues occurred.

If it were a 2001 or newer FICHT, It would be a toss up for me. Any earlier than that is a real crapshoot with a FICHT.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I'm a huge Johnson/Evinrude fan, but like most of the rest, just say no to FICHT...............

Shawnee

Cadet

I thought I would update this thread. I had started another one when my research in boats (began with motors) led me to ski boats. I ended up with a Moomba and Indmar engine.
:)

"Hard right turn Clyde".

Thanks for the replies/info