To Hydrofoil or NOT to Hydrofoil...that is the question!

I was given this SE Sport 200 Hydrofoil for my 8 HP Yamaha 2 stroke. I run this on my 16' Carolina Barebones skiff that weighs around 375 lbs. empty engine not included.

My concern is that if these were that great why wouldn't Yamaha increase the size of the AV plate?

My other concern is the added pressure on the AV plate could snap it.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Is it worth drilling 2 holes into a perfectly good motor?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: To Hydrofoil or NOT to Hydrofoil...that is the question!

What is your purpose in thinking about installing one? I doubt it will harm the motor, but I doubt it will help much either.

I'd like to try to plane the boat if possible. She almost goes on plane with the weight distributed properly, I'm hoping this will give it just a bit more.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The greatest product ever invented for the boating industry. I have one on half of the boats I currently own. Over the past 30 years I came across only one case where they didn't perform.

Not all boats need them, so Yami doesn't add one....better to go after-market. No, they don't break the boat!

In your case, adding one would provide no benefit. Very simply you need a bigger motor!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

What's the max rated HP stated on the tech plate ? You could optimize engine performance installing an induction tach and checking achieved max rpm at wot with you alone, asume that size boat planes with you alone, right ? Check Factory wot parameters stated for that engine to know if under or over propped, and select a proper pitch size to get the max punch out of that engine. You could check engine-transom height at wot too to check if both have made a perfect matrimony. Both tests are vital to optimize top boat-engine performance.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Try it! It is only two or four holes and if you don't like it you can remove it in 10 minutes. Different hull/engine combos react differently; you may or may not see an improvement BUT--- Bottom line, you won't know unless you try it.

Frank's right. It's not gonna' hurt anything to try, and it might just give the extra few pounds of lift your boat needs to get on plane.

Of course there are other factors that could help your performance as well, including engine health, engine height, prop pitch, and last but certainly not least, engine size.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Being a small engine for that size boat you could be lugging engine at wot when trying to plane, that's why a induction tach is needed to check wot numbers, you could always optimize engine rpm playing with pitch sizes for engine to work inside safe wot parameters. If hydrofoil doesn't run paralell to water surface will create leg drag and lessen boat-engine performance.

Happy Boating

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Some folks swear by em as shown here, others don't. They tend to mask other issues, like under powered outboard, water saturation under the floor, or an old worn out power plant, wrong prop. I would never buy a boat that has one on it because of the above. I would also never buy just an outboard that has the tell tale holes of having one. They do sell a bunch of them so it's up to you. Be safe if you decide to try one.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I'm on the flip side of this. I've tried these things on several boats and always end up removing them. Properly powered and set up an engine doesn't need them.

I gotta' chuckle a little bit at the passion that goes into arguing about the virtues of fins/hydrofoils.

Sure, in a perfect world they wouldn't be needed. Or Smart Tabs. Or flaps on airplane wings for that matter. They all do essentially the same thing, expand the useful operating range by providing a little additional lift (of course in the case of a wing, the extra drag of flaps can be a plus as well).

I would also never buy just an outboard that has the tell tale holes of having one.

Why? If someone doesn't want to see the holes all it takes is a little MarineTex and touch up paint. Other than that fins aren't going to do a thing to the outboard. They provide a little bit of lift, which if you draw a force diagram is only going to slightly counteract the substantial weight of the engine. And they have a bit of drag until they get above the surface, which is only counteracting the significantly greater force imparted on the lower unit by the thrust of the prop.

Jmbarnas

Recruit

i have a 12' inflatable with a 25 HP motor which i only use in lakes. The bow rides very high but being such a small boat in addition to the location of my steering wheel mount, there really aren't many options when it comes to weight distribution. Do you think a hydrofoil would help in this situation?

jbjennings

Captain

The greatest product ever invented for the boating industry. I have one on half of the boats I currently own. Over the past 30 years I came across only one case where they didn't perform.

Not all boats need them, so Yami doesn't add one....better to go after-market. No, they don't break the boat!

In your case, adding one would provide no benefit. Very simply you need a bigger motor!

I agree--need more hp!

jestor68

Commander

I like the Doel Fin. It's small size was intended for smaller boat/motors.

It will plane the boat in half the time; and plane a boat that otherwise won't plane.

For like $37, you can't go wrong. 00440.jpg

I decided to hold off putting the Hydrofoil on my 8 HP and instead but it on a new 20 HP Tohatsu 4 stroke with Power Trim (137 lbs.) I purchased for my 2010 CS J16 with large rear deck and large front deck. I have to say it has made a HUGE difference.

With the engine, my bulky self (+300 lbs.), a battery plus a 3 gallon gas tank I was hard pressed to plane when not standing in the middle.

Now she comes out of the hole almost immediately and on plane with only half throttle.

This has been the best $69 I spent. I may move the battery and gas tank forward but I'm not sure how that will affect the boat. I'll have to try it. I am still debating on also adding fixed trim tabs but I really doubt it as I don't think I need them. Time will tell.

This is the Hydrofoil I used: SE Sport? High Performance Hydrofoil | Bass Pro Shops