Old Morse Control Box

Smiling Bob

Cadet
I recently purchased a 77 Chrysler 15 HP electric start outboard that had been converted from tiller to remote. It came with a 2 lever Morse plastic control box. The cables were too short for my boat and the motor end connections had been jury rigged. The throttlle cable had a terminal from an electrical service box attached and that terminal was attached to the throttle linkage through the hole where the stud should have been with a piece of twisted wire. The shift cable had a homemade clevis attached to the end that was slipped over the stud on the shift linkage and secured with a piece of twisted wire. Found a set of new/old stock F195 cables with the proper cable end attachments (PIC C) included on ebay for $30 shipped. The throttle lever appeared to have been longer at one time and had been filed (red arrow in PIC B) and has a slight bend toward the shift lever side. Installed as shown in the pic the shift lever knob clears the gunwale when the box is on the control mount bracket in my boat, also clears the throttle lever when reinstalled on the opposite side of the lever. Two of the compression springs that hold tension against the levers were wrong as they were of smaller diameter than the tension cap, matched the correct spring to one in the hardware store and cut it to make two springs of the proper length. Box is a little warped, I plan to install a cross bolt ahead of the rear mount screw that will pull the sides together.

Trying to id model of the box, there had been a paper label on the inside that was unreadable. Also looking for a instruction sheet or procedure to adjust and also mark "start" and "shift" positions for the throttle lever.

SmilingBob

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Old Morse Control Box

Because it is a two handle box, there is no real adjustment necessary other than marking where F-N-R is and being certain the carb(s) are closed fully with the throttle handle all the way back.. You will need to mark the point where the throttle is stopped in neutral. This is the fast idle position and throttle advance is limited to prevent overspeeding in neutral.

Smiling Bob

Cadet
Re: Old Morse Control Box

Frank,

Thanks for the response, my friend. Waiting on a couple of parts till I can run the motor again. The fast idle position would be considered the "START" position, correct? When the throttle lever is all the way back and the carb is closed would that be considered the "STOP" position ? Would a point midway between be the "SHIFT" position ?

Smiling Bob