Jack Plate on Evinrude

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class
About 2 years ago, I was given a Jack Plate to install on my '86 Ranger 373V with an Evinrude XP150 on the back. Problem is I wasn't given the 4 studs that mount the jack plate to the transom. They are a special stud with 9/16-12 threads going into the jack plate and 1/2-20 threads for the connection to the transom side.

I was able to get the blue-prints for the studs, but shops want over $150 just to produce them for me and considering I can pick up a used jack plate with everything for not much more I never messed with it.

Since enough time has now passed and I'm tired of seeing this thing sitting in my attic in garage, I am once again wondering about trying to install it. Is there any reason I can't just buy a 9/16-12 bolt that is just long enough and use that instead of going the stud route? It seems I've asked this question somewhere before, but can't seem to remember or find the answer. Obviously, by the thread diameter and pitch, the end of the stud that goes into the jack plate is just over 1/2" diameter, where as the thread that goes through transom is just under. So, as I'm typing I'm guessing a 9/16" bolt may not go through the hole in transom.....any ideas/thoughts??? Is a bolt a bad idea?

I'm also a bit curious if I were to install this how would it affect pulling a skier/tuber, i.e. would I get on plane faster? Is it really worth messing with or should I just try to sell it or cash it in for scrap?

Re: Jack Plate on Evinrude

I haven't heard about a jackplate that needs special hardware, guess I learned something today.

Who's the manufacturer of the jackplate? I'd imagine they (or dealers that sell their product) can hook you up with those studs for a heck of a lot less than $150.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Well, I just bolted my Jackplate on to the transom using 1/2" bolts. The engine also used 1/2" bolts to connect to the Jack plate. As long as the bolts you use are 1/2" or thicker, I would think you are fine.

MASTERBrian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think the issue may be using half inch books through transom...... I'm thinking current ones are 9/16", so need to make sure i can get 1/2" bolts through. Hmmmm, wish I could find the old thread on it, but it seems I lost that user id.