Clamp Screw removal

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, I feel really stupid even having to ask this question but.....I need to replace the clamp screws that hold the motor to the transom and can't figure out how to get them all the way out. I thought that maybe I just had to remove the little swivel handle on the end and just continue to screw/rotate it all the way through. But no matter which way I rotate it it seems like the very end (on both ends) is flared just enough to prevent it from going any farther. I've cranked pretty hard thinking it just needed a little "persuasion" but no go. I don't want to ruin the threads either. So, what's the trick? Thanks

-B-

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Clamp Screw removal

Ok, if I use a hack saw to get them out/off then how will I be able to screw the new ones in? Won't they be flared as well? Also, did your round swivel plates that seat up against the transom fit correctly on the end of your S/S bolts?

-B-

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Anyone else have any input? I wouldn't mind hack sawing it off but that still doesn't answer how I'd get a new replacement one in. Hmmm..

foodfisher

Captain

Bolts don't come flared. A s/s washer between the bolt and transom will replace the "round swivel plates". Have spare s/s washers on hand if you remove and replace the engine frequently. Is your avatar you? A location would be nice too.

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks again for your input. Yes, that's me in the avatar. I'll add that info. after I post this. I'm up in Washington State.

-B-

carholme

Rear Admiral

When you are making your own clamp screws, you cut the last few threads of the bolt down to the size of the hole in the washer and about 1/8" longer than the thickness of the washer. Run the bolts into and through the clamp, install the washer, (cup side facing the transom) on the newly created *** on the end of the bolt and peen the end of the bolt to hold the washer on.

You can remove the old ones with a dremel tool grinder to clean away the peened material and pull the washer off.

Gerry

Last edited:

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the details Gerry. Much appreciated.

-B-