150 HP Johnson Outboard Removal

Larson70

Seaman
Hi guys,

Im starting a new project because I purchased a 1986 18' Ebb Tide Dyna-Trak SS with rotted stringers/floor/transom. The next step in this process is cap/shell/top removal (name varies by place). In order to do this i need to remove a huge 1979 150HP Johnson Outboard with power tilt and trim. What recommendations do you guys have? I am working on this project outdoors in a driveway and need to do this is in the safest/cheapest fashion. Is it possible to have four of us lift it onto a home made stand which we will be constructing or is it a better idea to buy a cherry picker and have it suspended under a tarp during construction? Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated. Links to products are also good. I also don't believe there is a spot to connect an eye to lift from (unless threaded into the flywheel).

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• New Boat.jpg
    New Boat.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 150 HP Johnson Outboard Removal

Been there!

For me --- I bought a 2 ton engine hoist on craigslist - $100. It had removeable legs and when I was done with it, tucked nicely into the corner of the garage. When I'm done with it -- I'll sell it for $100 or so.

Nice to have the right tool to move my 325lb engine on/off boats and around the garage. I have a Merc motor and I bought the engine lifting eye that screws into the flywheel. Easy to lift the motor this way and it is nicely balanced.

I used the engine hoist to put the motor on an engine stand I built with $14 scrap lumber from home depot. The casters were the expensive part @ 3.50 each. I used 6 casters. I used the plans from this iBoats post. Great stand !
http://forums.iboats.com/non-repair...ing-o-b-motor-stand-instructional-266570.html

Here is a pic of my stand/150HP motor.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I THINK your motor has a built-in lifting ring bolted on the backside of your powerhead. Even with four guys, a 350lb motor will be very awkward to handle and lift....and what will you do with the motor once it's off? I would RENT a standard auto engine puller hoist from a rent-all business in your area. You won't need it long.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Put a 1/2" lag bolt into the garage door header. Buy a cumalong (cable hoist, about $20) and connect to motor using proper method. Connect the other end to the lag bolt.. Some years have build in hoist places, some don't. Use the cable hoist to lift the motor off the transom and drop it onto a stand made of 2X6 and other lumber. A handtruck and some help will move the motor where you want it. I normally would drop the gearcase to make the load lighter and make the height of the stand lower, for greater stability. The motor can sit on the bottom of the midsection, and the transom clamps.

Larson70

Seaman

Thanks for the help everyone. The project has been moving slowly due to a heavy schedule but the motor was removed. I threaded the holes in the flywheel and lifted it off with a harmonic balancer and puller rental from the local auto zone. Worked like a charm, moved it over to a wooden engine stand we built. Now its just taking the cap off, redoing stringers/floor/transom and thats it.....easier said than done. But i will be keeping this boat around for a while after this long project. Pictures to come