Outboard motor cover ?

niceandeasy

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1974 Johnson 85 hp. When its running I have to yell to the person beside me to talk. Is there some thing I can put on the in side of the cover besides the stock foam to lower the sound of the beast of a motor behind me

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Outboard motor cover ?

I had that very same motor years ago and it seemed quiet to me. Certainly no where near the roar of my buddy's merc. (they are awful)

Maybe your foam is shot. Is it sticky, look like its compressed, or have any holes? Rip it out and replace it with new foam. Glue it in with contact cement and be sure to cover the entire inside of the cover.

niceandeasy

Seaman Apprentice

I looked it up online and I have found that there some better stuff out there besides foam. At lowes you can get peel and seal roof patch. It's the same thing as the high end sound proofing with 1/3 cost and they stay it works. Next week I'm going to try it out.

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for this thread.
I have a noisy 1987 Suzuki DT30. The foam was deteriorating and flaking down into the engine compartment so I ripped it all out.
I've been looking for a suitable replacement.
Let us know how the roof patch works? Some pictures would be a bonus.

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 89 force 50 must be the noisiest motor on earth lol but I found this sticky insulation with a foil backing its at lowes and home depot in the heating insulation isle it comes in a roll like 1 foot by like 6 feet. I just stuck it all on the inside of the hood and used a razor knife to cut along the bottom and the air intake don't forget the air holes.

matt167

Captain

I looked it up online and I have found that there some better stuff out there besides foam. At lowes you can get peel and seal roof patch. It's the same thing as the high end sound proofing with 1/3 cost and they stay it works. Next week I'm going to try it out.
It actually just looks the same. They are completly different products. It works ok for that tho.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

How about that mylar bubble wrap insulation? It is waterproof and should help some.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Good luck...... the older V-4 motors are loud and people have even insulated the outside of the engine cover....... it is still loud

You can get soundproofing kits Just make sure you use good glue and yes do not block the air passages.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I scraped the deteriorating foam out frumunda mine. Skeered it was gonna wind up in the carb(s).

Ya it's downright deafening at 6K, screams like a banshee, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I scraped the deteriorating foam out frumunda mine. Skeered it was gonna wind up in the carb(s).

Ya it's downright deafening at 6K, screams like a banshee, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

:D :D :D I like the screaming motor too but not enough to open the exhaust ;)

V153

Lieutenant Commander

:D :D :D I like the screaming motor too but not enough to open the exhaust ;)
Me neither Bob. I run stock mids/exhaust. The world is a loud enough place already ...

niceandeasy

Seaman Apprentice

It maybe longer to tell y'all if it works. The river here is super high and now the storm moving up the east coast is going to make it even higher. Flood level is 9 feet and we at 11 and still going up.

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looked at my Lowe's and can't find any peel and seal roof patch? Is it in the roofing department?
At JoAnn Fabric I found some fake foam (they had regular foam too) that they use for furniture padding. Claims not to deteriorate. It's about $14 a yard and you can buy it by the piece. Found some coupons on the counter for 50% off. Maybe worth a try?