Does octane booster work/is it worth it/does it help?

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
Does a regular bottle of octane booster say at walmart work?Would it benefit a new 4swtroke outboard?I get 92 ethanol free octane for my outboard but i was just wondering if anyone had hard facts or has seen an increase in performance from say adding a bottle of octane booster to your gas tank to make it say 95-100 octane?

Will it stay fresher and last much longer with adding the octane booster or is it honestly a waste of money?Iv'e been wondering this for a while now because octane booster is cheap,so if it helps in any way shape or form i would like to hear any info someone may have.Thanks.I believe i read that it will produce a bit more power,any truth to that?

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Does octane booster work/is it worth it/does it help?

I don't think it will make your gas stay fresher longer. If your engine does not ping, I don't see the value of it.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Octane is a measure of knock resistance--nothing else. Generally, alcohols and low molecular weight hydrocarbons have a higher octane rating than higher weight, long chain hydrocarbon mixes (gasoline). Yes, octane boosters do work, but if the engine does not need higher octane fuel, they are simply a waste of money. Besides, to boost octane significantly with them costs more than simply buying a higher octane rated gasoline.

If it is not a compound like Sta-Bil (which I also do not believe in using) it will not extend gasoline life or "clean" your engine.

Ibl0wstuffup

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would be careful with it. I used it in a 1971 dirt bike and it melted the gas tank. I used 104+.

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always wondered about Sta-bil. I think the sta-bil give a little bit of a false sense of security. I do however dump it in the tank when I fill up. With today's fuels, I think an enterprising individual could just go into the carb rebuilding business and make a nice living at it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Believe Frank. Higher octane fuel does you no favors and octane booster is even worse. Use what the maker recommends,whomever that may be.

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been boating for over 30+ years and have never added anything to my gas,boat or car.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Boat manufacturers recommend you use a fuel stabilizer, as the 90/10 gas breaks down pretty fast on hot summer days. If you used your boat every day, you'd turnover the gas and wouldn't need it. But realistically most boats often sit up, and gas can get old quick.

I've read where people have cut apart their old gasoline/water separator filters, and they couldn't believe all the trash that comes through modern gasoline. The engines also have a secondary old style gasoline filter.

And manufacturers have an anti-carbon product that they're pushing on the 4 stroke motors. Yamaha's RingFree Plus seems to be the highest quality product, but Mercury has an equivalent. RingFree is only put in at 1 oz for 10 gallons, and it doesn't work out to be very expensive. I don't know if it does any good, but most everyone seems to be using it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Those octane boosters are used only when very low grade, poor quality fuels are the only market available and you need higher octane fuels. Rather than that, no real use whatsoever to count with them.

Happy Boating