Tach for 1977 Johnson 70

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Don't know if this is the right category to post this thread under, but anyhow here it is. Last year I purchased my second boat (first one with a motor over 6hp). There is no instrumentation of any sort and I would really like to put a tach in the dash. Anyhow to make a short story longer can anyone tell me what kind I would need for a 1977 Johnson 70EL? Any input that you have would be great.

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: Tach for 1977 Johnson 70

http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0086p.pdf

If you look up your motor, you will see it uses a 6 P (12-Pole) tachometer. Most tachometers you buy nowadays are adjustable, so make sure it has the right setting, make sure it is set to that setting, and wire it in.

Also, if you look inside the remote control, you should find a grey wire taped up inside. That is the signal wire for the tach.

Good luck. My experience has taught me that the most necessary instrument on a boat is the tachometer.

Rgds

Eric

Cherokee-Runabout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Tach for 1977 Johnson 70

Thanks Eric. Yea I realize the tach is the most important that's why it's the first one I'm trying to put in. My boat is of decent weight and I want to find the right prop.

Thanks,
Dave