1996 Mercury 30hp 2 stroke - questions

kgronseth

Seaman
I just bought a 1996 30hp Mercury tiller 2 stroke oil injected outboard and have a few questions. The carb was cleaned/adjusted, new spark plugs put in, impeller replaced and lower unit lube changed just prior to purchase.

My questions:
1. The engine stop/cutoff button at the end of the tiller handle is very difficult to push in, need to use both thumbs to do it. Is there any issues with just using the kill switch that the lanyard attaches to to shut off the engine or will using that exclusively cause it to wear out too quickly? (I'll also look into replace the button at the end of the tiller handle at some point)

2. My previous outboard experience is with 70's and 80's smaller Evinrudes that had a choke. This 1996 Mercury has a primer bulb pump on the cowling and no choke, how many times am I supposed to prime it when starting it cold and what exactly is happening when I prime it?

3. There is tilt lock that can be enabled that will prevent the outboard from being tilted up. I've got about 12" of clearance to the ground when the motor is down, if I put the tilt lock on and tie down the outboard to keep it from turning/bouncing can I trailer it in this manner?

I ordered a service manual but don't have it yet.

Thanks for any insight!

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1996 Mercury 30hp 2 stroke - questions

Using the lanyard kill switch will be fine. You might be able to push the lanyard switch in without yanking it out and kill it that way.
The primer squirts gas into the carb. On my Evinrude I pump it a few times. If its real cold out you may have to give it another pump.
I see boat motors trailered like that all the time so that's fine. 12" of ground clearance is a lot so you can travel like that if you want.