Would a Jack Plate help?

jbmidnight

Recruit
Have a older Bass Tracker 16 Grizzly with a 83 Johnson 20" long shaft on it. The plate as you can see by the pick sits up kinda high. Someone said a jack plate would fix it as when i try to hit fast speed it cavitates and runs like poop so i throttle down. Any idea what size jackplate if one would work. Was thinking a 6.5 slidemaster. The boat was given to me from family and I am considered new. Motor is in beautiful condition from a friend. Any info would be greatly appreciated. As always thanks in advance.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Would a Jack Plate help?

Howdy.

:welcome:

What size is that outboard, jb? Give us a model number, if possible.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Would a Jack Plate help?

For starters welcome aboard... :welcome: ...

Without further info I can say your present setup looks like your engine is sitting too high on the transom, and that will cause your cavitation issues as well. But I can't make further comments because I can't see anything else. Post a few more pictures of both the boat AND the motor... If you do go the jack plate route, I would make sure it was installed to allow both lowering the engine and raising it. Most folks install a jack plate so they can get their engine higher to gain a little more speed and control, but yours is already high. I think you will see a big benefit to lowering that engine...