Spray can lacquer question

When I purchased my new-to-me Rude 175 the lower unit had quite a few pits and was looking pretty rough, so I spent some time doing body work and making it look nice before putting the engine on my boat. I first primed with zinc chromate primer, followed by Moeller engine paint in spray cans. I did about 4 coats of paint followed by a couple coats of clear, it came out looking great. It sat untouched for over 3 weeks in around 80 degree temperatures in my workshop before I installed the engine on my boat, so I'd have thought that it had plenty of time to dry/cure.

That paint is SOFT, it scratches if you look at it funny. Muffs leave marks on the lower unit every time I run the engine in the driveway. :mad-new: I always thought lacquer was supposed to be fairly tough (though I'll admit I'm no paint expert). Does anyone have suggestions for the next time I paint an engine or lower unit?

Re: Spray can lacquer question

First, did you use clear coat or Lacquer? Two very different things. If you used clear coat (I am guessing you did) was if from the same company that made your paint? The clear coat may not have been compatible with your paint.

I used all Moeller paint. The color paint was their engine paint, and the clear was their clear coat, as shown on this page:

Moeller Marine Online - Marine Paints

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Paint and lacquer do not mix. Lacquer will not cure over paint. Either use all paint or all laquer.

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class

not sure what happen,looks form the site that all the paint is made to work together....maybe send a e-mail to them or make a phone call and see what they say...I have done my share of painting and only time I can see this happing is applying lacquer over enamel paint or not waiting long enough between coats

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I doubt that Moeller is lacquor. Even the OEM paints from the engine manufacturers are all acrylic enamel these days.

My guess is improper installlation - coats were too thick or applied too close together. Clear coat on a lower unit is a waste of energy.

In any case, read the instructions to see how the application was supposed to proceed, and also verify what type paint it is.

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

I repainted the lower end of my Johnson last fall. I used the same paint. Moeller Zinc chromate primer in yellow. Let that dry about 48 hours followed by Moeller Engine Paint. I put on several light coats and then let it dry for about 48 hours. This was followed by several more light coats. This dried about 7 or 8 days. I then did a quick buff with a very fine polishing compound. This was followed by a few more light coats. This dried all winter in my garage (heated). When I put it all back together this spring no issues. The paint was dried fine.