Lube for hinge pins?

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class
In manual 14 page 1B-7, I'm unclear what to lube the hinge pins with. Is it U-Joint and Gimbal Bearing Grease also?

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Lube for hinge pins?

Quicksilver 2-4-C Marine Lubricant with Teflon 92-825407A12 is what's recommended.

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class

Too many different darn lubes! You need a bunch of different grease guns and crap! Shoot! What a pain. I'll use the gimbal grease on the hinge pins to keep it simple. FYI, according to my local dealer, Mercury doesn't have a grease for the spline-coupler any more, suggested an extreme grease made by Mobil that can be had at Graingers. I will post the part # later when I come back in. Just pulled the outdrive and checked alignment. No grease on top of the bar at the rear of that part that goes into the coupler. Came in to cool off a while before starting to raise the front of the engine.Thanks for the feed back. Cliff

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bondo's grease.jpg
    Bondo's grease.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1

dubs283

Vice Admiral

according to my local dealer, Mercury doesn't have a grease for the spline-coupler any more

thats not true

quicksilver engine coupler and spline grease is what you need for the coupler

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I admit it,... I own 2 grease guns,....

1 has a good quality chassis grease in it, 'n the other is fulla 2-4-C...

As for the topic at hand, I firmly believe my signature line is in fact the answer..... ;)

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Too many different darn lubes!

I use 2 (greaseguns), Quicksilver spline grease for the gimbal bearing, U-joints and coupler splines, 2-4C for everything else, including the prop shaft.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Spline grease is great for splines, but like 24C it will make gimbal bearings slide and not roll. Just too thick and sticky (Unless you get that cheap, watered down, thin Sierra stuff).

I had 2 grease guns as a tech. 1 spline grease, the other gimbal bearing and ujoint grease.
steering and hinge pins don't care which as long as it prevents corrosion and makes things slipery.
I also had small tubes of 2-4-C and 101 and a few others for different things, but they didn't get much use.

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class

As to Quicksilver spline grease not being available anymore, that's what the Mercury tech person told my parts guy while I was there. All the part numbers in the manual are obsolete. The spline grease number did not have a crossover number on the computer. That was all I had to go on. Cliff

cliffblue

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why does this thread show to be moved? Cliff