1997 Force 15 hp LU question

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi y'awl, (lol) Own this described above OB and bought it used. Looked like new and not even broken in. BUT ... the LU seemed older than the motor and had a bad paint job on it. ex owner claimed the moter sat behing his boat with LU in water for many years while motor was used by his guests once in a while. The prop is an 6" pitch non-true hub type. Now that I am shopping for an extra prop I find 2 models available on internet, 1 same as is mounted now and others that are TRUe-HUB exhaust models ?? Question is were there 2 LU models for this OB model ?

Tx

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 Force 15 hp LU question

The term is "thru hub" or "non thru hub Exhaust". Thru hub exhaust come out through the hub of the prop.
Non thru hub the exhaust comes out an exhaust snout. If there is a Thru hub lower unit it may be shared with Mercury.
According to your description you are only concerned with a non thru hub prop.
With 8 splines. Actually On some of the larger motors you can use a thru hub prop on a non thru hub motor.
Frank may be along he is the resident Force expert.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for your feedback. I know the difference between the thru hub and non thru hub exhaust type of props. (excuse wrong spelling) My OMC 9.9 hp has a thru hub prop. I am concerned with the fact that I found both models offered on internet although gave full OB description re: non thru hub type of LU of the Force OB.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I don't understand your concern. If you have a non thru hub motor you need a non thru hub prop.
Sometimes a search will include information that may not be accurate or perhaps obscure.
Here at Iboats if you search Force 15 1997 You get one result for non thru hub props.
If you make it Force 15 hp 1997 you get an additional obscure 1978 listing for a auxillary sailboat motor.Force didn't exist in 78.
While your question is prop oriented I think it is also a Force question.
You might ask the guys at the Force/Chrysler repair section if there is indeed a Force 15 with a thruhub prop application.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Simply curious to know if some models were built with LU that required true hub props, since I have found those props on other internet sites.
I know I need a non-true hub prop for my OB"
Regards

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You could pm Frank Acampora. He's pretty up on Force motors. Or maybe one of the other guys that frequent the Force forum.
Please let us know what you find out.I'm curious now too.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunately, I have no experience with late model Mercury-made small Force engines. I can not be much help here. Since in the late 90s, Mercury did use Mercury designed lower units on the larger engines it is not a stretch to imagine that the smaller engines also were equipped with Mercury designed lower units using a thru hub exhaust system.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you Frank. Force by Mercury have been using some Mercury parts, I believe Ignition is one of them and so are LU. On my OB the LU uses a non-true hub prop like Chryslers but I suspect they also made some with the true hub prop type LU's. Otherwise why would I find supplier that offer (not a choice) those true hub props ? Iboat searches show non true hub props only, but picture is true hub.

Tx & have a great day.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Iboats pictures are just a facsimile no direct relation to the prop selection.