Can I use 2 cycle synthetic blend

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all.

So far I have been using regular 2 cycle but cant find it anywhere to buy last minute. All I can find is syntetic blend. The problem is that I topped off the tank so now i need to add oil to the 3 extra gallons but have used the regural oil prior to this. Can I mix it?

Attached is the pictureimage.jpg

matt167

Captain
Re: Can I use 2 cycle syntetic blend

No, they are 2 different formulations beyond being synthetic, or not. The regular oil you show is basic OPE 2 stroke oil, and the synthetic blend is outboard motor rated ( TC-W3 ). You should only be using outboard motor oil as it is designed to work in a liquid cooled engine, more importantly.. Outboard motors specifically

As far as which oil to get. Supertech TC-W3 outboard oil available at Walmart is only $12/gallon and is recommended here by many.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

the tc3 is the best to use, i have mixed oils before, not telling you to just saying i have, my grandpap used 30 weight, my cousin swears by beanoil:facepalm: the purpose of the stuff is to lube the engine, i would use the latest technology the tc 3 is best now, maybe someday they will come up with something better and i will use it. but would still resort to tc 3 in a pinch

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Whatever you use, it should be tcw3 rated. Tcw3 oils will provide the lubrication, corrosion protection, and burn qualities that are needed in a cool running raw water cooled engine.

As long as it is twc3 rated, you can mix types and brands. Compatibility is part of being tcw3 rated.

So yes, you can use petrol based tcw3 with synthetic blend tcw3 with pure synthetic tcw3.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

WW has Pennzoil syn blend 2 cycle oil and Merc high perf oil which is not advertised to have syn in it, but Merc doesn't make oil and Penn does. One can only surmise the the best oil Merc sells is of the blended type and may be of Penn origin.

Syn oils mix readily with parrafin based oils. Says so on cans of oil for most any application.

I run both the Merc and Penn and notice reduce smoking over conventional parrifin oils.

TCW-3 is the current rating for recommended 2 cycle premix or injected systems.

Mark

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

That clears up some confusiuon.

Thanks Guys
Zipp

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do not believe there would be any issues. Synthetic blend is exactly that, it is a mixture of synthetic and non synthetic oil packaged up and sold. As stated by many others the key is to stick with the TCW-3. The additives in TCW-3 are designed for outboard/marine use while the additives in regular 2 cycle oil are not.

Geared more towards Snow Mobiles but a lot of valuable info.
The Late Great Oil Debate

ROBDOG1

Seaman
Re: Can I use 2 cycle synthetic blend

So does it matter if it is a gas/oil premix or oil injected motor? Can you overfill an oil injected motor?
Thanks!
Rob

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

TC-W3 straight, syn or syn blend can be used. The delivery method (pre-mix or oil injected) doesn't matter. Question 2 - Of course. Then the oil runs all over the place. But it's just the oil tank overflowing. Motor will run fine, just a big mess.

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good to read the Walmart standard/non-synthetic TC-3 is liked. I purchased a gallon and expect it to last a while being I run a 9.9 HP and don't get out often.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I would not mix it. The "Outdoor" stuff is designed to mix with your 2 cycle weedeaters or blowers etc.. which are air-cooled engines. Unless it is TCW3 rated, I would not put it in the tank. Matt167 is 100% correct.