Starting Fluid is BAD BAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walker

Captain
I've read several posts lately where some of you mentioned using Starting Fluid to get your outboards cranked. I assume you mean ether based starting fluids. Man, that is the worse stuff in the world for your engines. Its an explosive when put under compression, much like nitro-methane. If you must use something to prime you engine to get it fired then use some carb cleaner and use it sparingly.

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starting Fluid is BAD BAD

Pre-mix is even better. Put it in a spray bottle.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Starter fluids will wash away the lubrication on the cylinder walls and rings. It will / could cause metal galling along with it's explosive capabilities. I fully agree with MG use pre-mix in a spray bottle works fine. (Better yet keep the motor tuned and use nothing extra!)<br /><br />Bob

sloopy

Commander

good ole nitro :) .................... <br /><br />ever seen what happens to a spark plug when it is not titened enoght? thats real cool :) ether is ok sometimes...... like when killing beetles :)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Please tell me what spray bottle will hold up with gas in it? Everything now is made of cheapo plastic and it deforms and melts with time.<br /><br />Also, my boat is in perfect tune, but it is just a crappy design. Sometimes it starts instantly, others, it requires throttle and choking. If is doesnt start in two tries, it gests a short blast.<br /><br />As long as you dont give it a 1 minute shot, you are fine.<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Ken.<br /><br />Use the spray bottle to get your engine started or to troubleshoot a starting/powerloss problem. Then empty it. Don't store fuel in it.<br /><br />I think it is a very bad idea to advise anyone that ether based, no-lube starting fluid can be safely used in 2 strokes, inluding oil injected and DFI 2 strokes.<br /><br />You may get away with it, but you know and accept the risk.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm with Walker.<br />I've been around gas engines all my life, and there is always a reason why a properly engineered engine will not start easily, and it is not because the engineer forgot to install an ether injection system. Starting problems are usually, but not always associated with fuel issues. There is always a way to fix a hard starting engine that does not include starter fluid. Always.<br />If necessary, get a little metal pump oil can for $3 from the hardware store and put pre-mix in it while you are fixing the problem.<br />Starter fluid is not good on any gas engine, and especially bad on 2 cycle engines.<br /><br />John

slow_boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know pre-mix in a bottle is the best way but how bad is a shot of WD-40?

JB

Good question, Slo-Boat.<br /><br />WD-40 used to be the perfect starter or troubleshooting fluid for outboards. That was when it was a good penetrating oil and other petro-distillates propelled by propane. Propane is a wonderful engine fuel.<br /><br />About a year ago they discontinued the propane and now propel it with CO2. That makes it a better fire extinguisher than starter.<br /><br />Look at the label. If it says "EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE!" it is the old stuff. If it merely says "flammable" it is the new stuff.<br /><br />Cheers. :)

kev_alaska

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And if you find a couple cases of the old stuff, buyit and let us know where to send for our share.......<br /><br />WD-40 also used to contain herring oil, hence it's reputation for being a fish attractor. <br /><br />Kev_Alask***

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ohhh Sloopy due! you need to be fryin up some beetles! good for labor day picinix

slow_boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just finnished off my last gallon of the 'old' stuff...looking for more <sigh>

slow_boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB<br /><br />Have bought my WD-40 in 1 gallon cans the last few years. The first one came with a refillable plastic spray bottle. Do you know if the formullation has changed for the 1 gallon cans? Picked up a new one and the can is just like one I saved from 4 years ago...both have 'combustible' printed on the label...not 'flammable' or 'highly flammable'<br /><br />Seems to work for starting my tractor engine.

JB

Howdy, Slow_boat.<br /><br />The WD-40 sold by the gallon has no propellant in it at all. Only the spray cans had propane and now have CO2.<br /><br />I don't think the formula for the liquid has changed.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

harrison20002

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you think about using Starting Fluid, imagine washing down your cylinder or cylinders with gas, letting it dry, then turning the motor over aprox. 1500 times. It's a drag.<br /><br />Have I done it? How do think people on this B.B. get this knowledge. Go with J.B. and use a spray bottle or with BobVT and keep your motor tuned and you wont have to use anything.<br /><br />Happy Boating all, and now that Labor Day is over maybe we can fish without the usual distractions, PWC,s. Hal.

BillP

Captain

You guys really think a squirt of starting fluid every now and then will hurt the engine? There is usually already gas and lube in the cyl from cranking anyway. The times (very few)I've used it are to help clear flooded or extremely cold engines...and that is after cranking first. Considering that gas/oil is in the cyl from cranking and the engine is cold (loose), just how much harm is really likely? <br /><br />Yes, technically, the fluid is not a lubricant and can thin lube...but it isn't fueling past 2<br />seconds before the regular fuel system is running the engine. It is nothing like washing the cyl walls down, drying and turning over 1500 rpms. Maybe 50-75 rpms before the aerosol is gone on a start at 1500 rpms. <br /><br />Don't get me wrong, I've used the stuff a half dozen times in my life and it was usually on a diesel that didn't have glow plugs. I just don't think the threat is so terrible.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Call me dense, but I don't get this no starting fluid thing. First off, every can of starting fluid I've ever seen states that it contains a top head lubricates. With this the case, I don’t see how spraying the fluid through the plug holes should have no effect at all upon the lubrication of the motor. Second, if you spray the fluid in through the carbs, would it not be diluted with the oiled fuel as it passes through the carbs? I would think that the worst that could happen would be that you've reduced your ratio down from 50:1 down to what 51.8:1? I’m not doubting anyone, just trying to understand the logic behind the claims.

steve26180

Recruit

since you guys are talking about starting outboards i have a 1975 johnson 40 hp with a 74 ignition system and i have replaced the driver coil the coils and the spark plugs because i didnt have spark and now i do and it will crank fine but it wont start what could be the problem. there was a shorted wire in the starter but i have fixed tht. i get nice blue spark but once i put the plugs into the cylinders and crank it it wont start. please help me.

coolguy147

Commander

i use wd-40 if i really have to really since its in a air can and i always have ti around lol. but only if i have too. my engines r always tuned well.

becareful if u have a old omc engine as it may booger up ur points if u get any oil on them by the way

Status
Not open for further replies.