• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Starting Fluid is BAD BAD

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Fluid is BAD BAD

I've read several posts lately where some of you mentioned using Starting Fluid to get your outboards cranked. I assume you mean ether based starting fluids. Man, that is the worse stuff in the world for your engines. Its an explosive when put under compression, much like nitro-methane. If you must use something to prime you engine to get it fired then use some carb cleaner and use it sparingly.

Re: Starting Fluid is BAD BAD

Pre-mix is even better. Put it in a spray bottle.

Comment

Starter fluids will wash away the lubrication on the cylinder walls and rings. It will / could cause metal galling along with it's explosive capabilities. I fully agree with MG use pre-mix in a spray bottle works fine. (Better yet keep the motor tuned and use nothing extra!)Bob
      This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
      Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

good ole nitro .................... ever seen what happens to a spark plug when it is not titened enoght? thats real cool ether is ok sometimes...... like when killing beetles
        Mes amis nous allons quelque part dont tout
        le monde
        Se rappelle d'un endroit ou l'herbe etait
        toujours verte
        Et la fete ne s'arretait jamais
        A autour du rocher

Comment

Please tell me what spray bottle will hold up with gas in it? Everything now is made of cheapo plastic and it deforms and melts with time.Also, my boat is in perfect tune, but it is just a crappy design. Sometimes it starts instantly, others, it requires throttle and choking. If is doesnt start in two tries, it gests a short blast.As long as you dont give it a 1 minute shot, you are fine.Ken

Comment

Howdy, Ken.Use the spray bottle to get your engine started or to troubleshoot a starting/powerloss problem. Then empty it. Don't store fuel in it.I think it is a very bad idea to advise anyone that ether based, no-lube starting fluid can be safely used in 2 strokes, inluding oil injected and DFI 2 strokes.You may get away with it, but you know and accept the risk.Good luck.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm with Walker.I've been around gas engines all my life, and there is always a reason why a properly engineered engine will not start easily, and it is not because the engineer forgot to install an ether injection system. Starting problems are usually, but not always associated with fuel issues. There is always a way to fix a hard starting engine that does not include starter fluid. Always.If necessary, get a little metal pump oil can for $3 from the hardware store and put pre-mix in it while you are fixing the problem.Starter fluid is not good on any gas engine, and especially bad on 2 cycle engines.John

Comment

I know pre-mix in a bottle is the best way but how bad is a shot of WD-40?

Comment

WV 30 has lube in it DUE!
                  Mes amis nous allons quelque part dont tout
                  le monde
                  Se rappelle d'un endroit ou l'herbe etait
                  toujours verte
                  Et la fete ne s'arretait jamais
                  A autour du rocher

Comment

Good question, Slo-Boat.WD-40 used to be the perfect starter or troubleshooting fluid for outboards. That was when it was a good penetrating oil and other petro-distillates propelled by propane. Propane is a wonderful engine fuel.About a year ago they discontinued the propane and now propel it with CO2. That makes it a better fire extinguisher than starter.Look at the label. If it says "EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE!" it is the old stuff. If it merely says "flammable" it is the new stuff.Cheers.
                    sigpic

Comment

And if you find a couple cases of the old stuff, buyit and let us know where to send for our share.......WD-40 also used to contain herring oil, hence it's reputation for being a fish attractor. Kev_Alask***

Comment

Ohhh Sloopy due! you need to be fryin up some beetles! good for labor day picinix

Comment

Just finnished off my last gallon of the 'old' stuff...looking for more <sigh>

Comment

JBHave bought my WD-40 in 1 gallon cans the last few years. The first one came with a refillable plastic spray bottle. Do you know if the formullation has changed for the 1 gallon cans? Picked up a new one and the can is just like one I saved from 4 years ago...both have 'combustible' printed on the label...not 'flammable' or 'highly flammable'Seems to work for starting my tractor engine.

Comment

Howdy, Slow_boat.The WD-40 sold by the gallon has no propellant in it at all. Only the spray cans had propane and now have CO2.I don't think the formula for the liquid has changed.Good luck.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X