Mariner paint?

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 150 Mariner V6 outboard that I'll be painting as part of my winter projects. I'm going to replace the decals and I want to repaint it the factory color and make it look brand new. So far I've only found spray cans. Will this give me a good finish or is there somewhere I can find paint for a spray gun?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Mariner paint?

You can have it made at NAPA for a spray gun. They have a color matching system. I had them make up 2 rattle cans for mine last year and it worked fine and its nice to have touch up paint on hand from the same batch,

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Cans of paint will work as long as you spray it on in thin coats, and let it dry some before putting on another coat to prevent sagging. Any bare metal should be cleaned good and I use yellow zinc cromate primer before painting those areas. Has worked good for me and I've done several in the past. JMO
Oldman570

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got it. Using the cans is fine with me, I don't mind doing several coats as long as I get a good finish.

I know to use the yellow zinc chromate primer for the leg, but what about the plastic clamshell?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Regular primer can be used for the clam shell as well as the zinc chromate. I use the zinc chromate on all parts of the outboard because I buy cans of it buy the case and not just enought to do one motor. I also use it on the custom alluimium decks that I make and install in boats for some buyers. It is up to the indivual if doing just one motor. JMO
Oldman570