1964 Mercury 85hp 850 Inline 6 - MFG runabout I think??

Chinpoker

Seaman
Hello folk I'm new to this form and new to boat ownership I have in my possession a 1964 Mercury 85hp 850 inline 6 as far as I could figure out from the serial # 1662924 and an MFG boat, not to sure of the model or year previous owner said 72' can't find out anything about it I'll post a pic when I have 1!!

What I want help with is the fuel/oil mix ratio?
How to change the gear oil/grease?
What spark plug should I use?
Carb/fuel/water pump rebuild kit part #'s ?
How to properly start it up as I'm up here in the great white north :p any help would be greatly absorbed like a sponge :p
1 last question for now till I think of any more is what would happen if oil was not mixed with the fuel would it make it hard to start cause any engine damage ??? My dumb a** did just that and can't get it started now as easy as the first time I started it when I got the boat with the previous owner fuel in there before I found out I had to mix oil/fuel for it

Many Thanks on your knowledge :D
Dave

matt167

Captain
Re: 1964 Mercury 85hp 850 Inline 6 - MFG runabout I think??

Yes, sadly you may have wiped the engine out by running it without oil and the engine especially if it doesn't have oil injection/ out of oil. I'm not fammiliar with the mix on that engine, but if I had to guess, I'd say 32:1 is a good guess, but it could be 50:1. At the very least it needs an inspection

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats.

BUY A MANUAL!!!! Do not pass go........buy a manual! You may have allot of work ahead.

Chinpoker

Seaman

Thanks I used sea foam in the mixed up fuel oil starts and runs fine! About the start didn't really run for more then 2 sec's without the oil I was just courious :p is there a specific way of starting these motor in warm/cold weather just turn the key,w/without choke , idler up half or nun
But what I would like help with is the parts part if anyone has owned or worked on one just so I can order and keep them on hand if or when I need them
Also what kind of prop? just to replace as I have no clue
And is repairing the skeg important to the driveability or just there to protect the prop?

Thanks again
Dave