Winterize with Seafoam?

brian67

Recruit
I just inherited a fishing boat with a 60hp Johnson outboard. I put a bottle of Seafoam in the first tank of gas on the advice of a friend. Now I have to store it for a Michigan winter (still with the Seafoam in the tank), and I'm not sure if I should drain the gas tank, add Stabil, or just leave it alone. I know virtually nothing about boats so any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Winterize with Seafoam?

Seafoam is to clean your carbon and engine gunk off, by running it through the engine, stabil would still be required for a Michigan winter. I just add stabil to all my gas powered gear. I dont think the Seafoam will be hurting anything by sitting all winter, but unless it tells you it treats ethanal gas for winter storage I would add stabil too.

dodgeboy1979

Seaman Apprentice

i use an engine storage fog spray for my johnson 70h, it leaves a residue in the carbs etc.. to avoid gumming and rust.

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have done as others explained, namely put Stabil into gas tanks that already contain Seafoam, and it does no harm. I will be doing that in a few weeks up here in northern Michigan. Next spring, after you've used up the gas in the tank, fill it up and put in the minimum recommended Seafoam to keep things clean. As you may be well aware, outboards differ from many other engines in many ways. First, they are run infrequently thus allowing gum to build up in fuel passages. Second, an outboard that won't run or start is not just an inconvenience when you're out on the water, and third, outboards typically sit in a very, very humid environment 24/7 so they have the opportunity to collect moisture that condenses into water in gas tanks, lines, and carburetors. Seafoam helps prevent lots of outboard problems.