Mercury or Yamaha or Honda 9hp kicker?

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK. Thanks to some iBoats responses about 2-stroke vs 4-stroke kickers. I am narrowing my replacement kicker search (mounts on stern, no bracket) with the focus on weight, same fuel as main which is 2-stroke with oil resevoir and internal pump, and long shaft. Since I live in a somewhat remote area, I want to stay with the most reliable brands and those my local mechanics understand. That leaves a few questions on which I hope to get as many opinions as I can: 1) Is there a recent vintage 8-9hp 2-stroke (prefer Mercury or Yamaha, but Evinrude/Johnson would do too) with an internal pump and oil tank so I don't need to use pre-mix? I cannnot find anything on their sites, so to avoid pre-mix, I may need to go 4-stroke. 2) Among Mercury, Yamaha, and Honda, which is the lightest long shaft 9.9 hp 4-stroke? I looked at 2012 specs, and Yamaha seems lowest weight, but maybe older models are different. 3) Do the Merc, Yamaha, and Honda 9.9hp 4-stroke motors all have about the same reliability, long life, and simple maintenance? I've had 2 large Mercury motors that just won't quit, and the local mechanics can easily repair, and I've heard good things about Yamaha. And my current 4hp Evinrude kicker (pre-mix) is very reliable. My inclination is Mercury or Yamaha, but I want opinions of as many others as I can get.

Thank you in advance for all your opinions and advice.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercury or Yamaha or Honda 9hp kicker?

It may be that the Merc and Yammy are both Tohatsu.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Auto lube are generally found on much larger HP engines than portables. If going for a Merc, could be a rebadged Yam or Tohatsu, will depend on year of fabrication. Now a days you can find Merc's 15/25 and other HP models manufactured by Yam and Tohatsu as well, seems Yam old stock leftovers. Recent models 1990 + are rebadged Tonatsu's in the potable range. Pics of internal 8- 9.9 HP engine will clarify it's manufacturer brand.

Happy Boating

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I run Merc and Yamaha 9.9 4 strokes almost every week, Hondas less often. The Yamahas tend to run better at trolling speeds, less vibration, they are also slightly easier to get at the right throttle setting. The Hondas tend to have a very touchy throttle, it can be difficult to get the right setting, it will jump too high or too low with even the slightest movement of the grip.
There are very few issues with any of them, aside from an occasional dirty carb they run for a decade or more with little attention or maintenance.