Lower unit oil bolt siezed

dolla101

Cadet
Can some please help me i cant get the oil screws out to drain the lower unit. I tapped it with a hammer and screw driver ..soaked the screws in penetrating oil and i still cant get these screws off .....PLEASE help

Boats-A-lots

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lower unit oil bolt siezed

Take a washer, or something flat that will fit into the slot and place it in a set of vise grips. This give you better turning power then a screwdriver. Hope it works. Other thing is to heat them LIGHTLY with a propane torch or heat gun.

Thalasso

Commander

Can some please help me i cant get the oil screws out to drain the lower unit. I tapped it with a hammer and screw driver ..soaked the screws in penetrating oil and i still cant get these screws off .....PLEASE help

What make of drive. Maybe go to the sec (forum ) that represents your brand of drive and post this question. You might get more response

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

This is what a impact driver is made to do. A lot of people use a impact driver to install and remove that screw and you will find the bit tips a perfect fit.

UncleWillie

Captain

The trick is that the screwdriver needs to fit the slot.
Not just go into the slot; It needs to FILL the slot.
It is typically a pretty big slot and the proper screwdriver is 18-24 inches long.

Most people is a screwdriver that is way too small.
You can get away with it 95% of the time. This is the 5% case!

It sure would be nice if it were a torx!

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

You should really consider replacing the plug if the slot is all fishmeckled. I generally keep a spare (with gasket) in the box of spare parts.

dolla101

Cadet

thanks i everyone i went to home depot and bought a impact driver ...and it worked!!!!!..

dolla101

Cadet

is it normal for the oil to look like this (it hasnt been changed in a year)IMAG0727.jpg

dolla101

Cadet

That oil would have some water in it. Looks like a very slight amount but you could have a seal problem.

thanks im going to fill her back up...and take her out this weekend...then drain the oil again and see if it is still milky

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

thanks im going to fill her back up...and take her out this weekend...then drain the oil again and see if it is still milky
Since you had removal problems........... be certain to replace the special washer that goes on the fill and drain screws

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Most likely will be contaminated... why waste the gear lube? Go ahead and pressure check it now and if it checks good, then fill it up.

dolla101

Cadet

Since you had removal problems........... be certain to replace the special washer that goes on the fill and drain screws

will do Bob thanks for the info!!!! im new to the boating world ...this forum helps out alot from just read the other posts

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You should be replacing those every time you change the gear oil. I buy 5 of each of them at a time for each plug so I have enough for many years.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Take a washer, or something flat that will fit into the slot and place it in a set of vise grips. This give you better turning power then a screwdriver. Hope it works. Other thing is to heat them LIGHTLY with a propane torch or heat gun.

I'm a big believer in applying heat to reluctant bolts as well. Sometimes there are heat sensitive parts in close proximity to the affected bolt that make a torch a bad idea. CRC makes a "cold" spray that has the same effect by freezing the part, thereby breaking up the crystals without melting rubber. As it happens, iboats sells it here.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I assume that's shortly after you ran it, since it isn't seperated. I'd say that's more than you ought to have. But probably not so much as to do real damage. Hopefully it's just the screw gaskets. Can you let it sit a couple weeks after you run it this weekend, then see how much water only comes out the bottom screw?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yes it dose appear to have a slight touch of water mixed in, but it can depend on how long it has sat to. Depending on the oil it can be a bit of foam from normal running. Some oils foam and look like that for a few days after being ran., Personally I would flush it out with new oil and get it nice and clean inside then run it and a let it sit for about a week then drain and inspect. If its been a long time since its been changed it could be condensation for over a winter.

UncleWillie

Captain

That oil would have some water in it. Looks like a very slight amount but you could have a seal problem.

It is hard to tell in the photo if it is water or foamy oil.

Oil Floats so the water would tend to drain first and be at the bottom of the pan.
I would think that the water would be well mixed in the oil and you wold not be seeing clean oil also.

If it is foamy oil I would expect to see clear oil drain first and the foamy oil come out last and float on the solid oil.

Does it look "Milky" or "Silvery" ?