2007 Evinrude E-Tec 175HP vs 2008 Yamaha 150HP?

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have found two identical boats within my price range and now the decision has come down to the powerplant. The first is powered by a 2007 Evinrude Etec 175HP with 180hrs and the second is powered by a 2008 Yamaha F150 with 85hrs.

I have had nothing but Yamaha's F150's for the past two years or so and they have been awesome. Not a single problem out of the 3 Yamaha F150s I've owned to date; started every single time, great fuel economy. I know nothing about Evinrude and the only reason I am even considering the Evinrude is because it has slightly more HP.

As I mentioned the boats themselves are identical, same maker, same size, etc. I've read a lot about Evinrude reliability problems and I am leaning towards sticking with what I know about Yamaha.

Is the higher HP and higher hrs worth the extra 15HP? I will pick reliability over power any day, but it would be nice to not have to compromise.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2007 Evinrude E-Tec 175HP vs 2008 Yamaha 150HP?

personally, I'd favor the Evinrude for the same reason your are leaning toward the Yamaha .... if you take a look at the E-TEC owners forum you might get some specific answers to points which may interest you .... the Evinrude section of this form might also be helpful .... given your location, would there be any difference in the convenience of getting either brand serviced/repaired .... the one concern I have with Evinrude it the reduction in the size of their dealership network

Jim