Repowering 18' Peterborough Cedar Strip with Outboard - need options

gcraig

Recruit
I need to repower my boat. It's a 1956 18' Peterborough Seafarer, which is a cedar strip runabout with remote steering, bow deck, and 3 benches for passenger seating.

The boat is rated to 75 hp, is 77" wide midships, is not a deep V hull, and has average freeboard for a cottage lake boat.

We have a water access cottage and routinely carry large quantities of people and gear. Weather/waves can get dicey at times.
Here's the trick: the lake has a 20 hp limit. I think the power i would really like for the boat is 40 hp but i can't just buy a 40 and slap it on. I occasionally liketo use the boat on other lakes that don't have the horsepower restrictions.

I'm looking for options. I'm considering the Evinrude 15 hp H.O. I'm also thinking of how i can relabel a 35 or 40 as a 20 but I need to figure out what manufacturers during what years had 35 or 40 hp two stroke motors that closely approximated their 20 hp cousins. Specifically, im thinking of 80's and early 90's OMC outboards.

I need to make some prop decisions too. May be difficult to find that right mix to get the boat up on plane but give me some speed.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you have!

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Repowering 18' Peterborough Cedar Strip with Outboard - need options

You are in a tough spot,that 20hp limit really stinks.
That 15hp HO is one heavy motor(180 ish) and even if it wasn't I don't think it would give you the performance you're looking for.They have the same displacement/weight of the 25/30 hp etecs.As far as planing and speed,if you don't get up on plane,speed isn't going to be a factor.A 30hp might plane your boat but you would still have to attach the wrong stickers.

You can put whatever label you want on an outboard,thats your call and your boat is within it's specs.It would probably make your boat a safer rig.The only problem is the guys that give out tickets,they won't be as understanding.

gcraig

Recruit

Thanks. I agree, the HO is heavy, and expensive too, but it's a great motor, will last a long time, and has trmendous torque. With the high torque and a high pitch prop it might be a good combination. Expensive test to get wrong though.

I would take my chances with a relabeled cowling, but I need to figure out which manufacturer had a 35 or 40 hp, in what year(s), that could pass for a 20. Even that H.O. might pass for a regular 40 from Evinrude. I think they made a 40 around 1999 that was thin, but they're haed to find.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If you want someone here to endorse you breaking a law........ you are in the wrong place.

Sorry but there is no one that will endorse cheating and iboats is strongly against it.

If you are seeking that endorsement this post will be locked up fairly soon.

emoney

Commander

I just watched a Mercury commercial over at the "Dockside" and they had a 20hp Merc pulling a skier like it was nobody's business. And that was in the 1960's. No reason to skirt the law, or the manufacturer's engineering plan.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your looking at late 80s early 90s OMC outboards, the hp rating is the 2nd and 3rd digits of the model number so regardless of what you put on the cowl, it still has the hp rating on it.