Evinrude 175 hp outboards

sec56

Seaman
I'm going to go look at two Crestliner 2360 Eagle SST's, 1997 and 1995 this coming Friday (8/10). Based on the model numbers that were furnished to me, one appears to be a 1999 Evinrude (mod#: E175FPLEEC) and has Fitch on the hood/cowl. I haven't heard a lot of good about the Fitch engines in general, but have heard the the newer ones were better than the earlier Fitch engines. I've also heard that the majority of the Fitch engines that are around today probably are good engines. I'm not sure what to believe at this point and have an uneasy feeling about this engine. This engine happens to be on the 1997 Crestliner. The other engine is also a 175hp Evinrude Ocean Pro (mod.# E175EXERA) and again from the information I can fine it is a 1994 engine. In the pictures, I didn't see "Fitch" on the hood/cowl and I haven't heard squat about the Ocean Pro series. Can anyone verify these years I came up with? The Marina that has these two boats says he's serviced the one Evinrude Fitch since the owner has had it, and says the owner hasn't had any issues with it. I plan on asking to see maintenance documents on this boat and motor and the other one if he has records. He's says the Fitch has been out and running (used by the owner) recently. Marina owner/broker said that we can take both boats out for a spin, but the 1995 has yet to be de-winterized. Any information that anyone can share with me about these two 175hp Evinrudes would be greatly appreciated.

sec56

Seaman
Re: Evinrude 175 hp outboards

I'm surprised there hasn't been any feedback to my post above. Hopefully, I chose the topic for information regarding these two motors. Any feedback/information could be useful in my making a decision as to whether or not to consider either of these motors. If I've chosen the wrong category for my posting, please let me know where it should be. Thank You.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: Evinrude 175 hp outboards

Ive got twin 1995 150 Johnson's, the Evinrudes little brothers. Both have optical ignition and are loop charged (loopers) They run like a scalded dog and burn about 32GPH at WOT.

Fine motors I think, one of the last motors that are truly owner serviceable while being very reliable.

With that said, I'd take a well maintained looper against a Johnson e-tech thats been poorly maintained any day.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Go with the 94 model as its carbed, easier to work on and a 3.0 liter, the Ficht parts cost more, need computer to figure out problem and is a 2.6 liter