Location of Serial # on a '87 Force 85HP outboard

Larry N

Recruit
I was told the location of the ID tag was on the transom bracket. I looked and saw where it USED to be! After 25 years it's not there any longer. Are there any other spots that I might find the Serial #'s? I need them to get a title. PLEASE HELP!!!

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Location of Serial # on a '87 Force 85HP outboard

What information do you need for a title, the Model number is under the cowling. I wouldn't know why they would need a serial number for an outboard. Is the title for the boat or engine?

Larry N

Recruit

What information do you need for a title, the Model number is under the cowling. I wouldn't know why they would need a serial number for an outboard. Is the title for the boat or engine?

The serial # is the VIN # for outboard motors. It uniquely identifies a motor. Only one serial # for each motor.

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its just odd they want the serial number for the motor, the motor can always change. However, the HIN (Hull Id number) of the boat will never change. What state are your from may I ask?

Larry N

Recruit

The motor is an outboard. I am from Missouri and they require titles on outboards as they can be swapped out from boat to boat and stolen. I have to have a title for the boat, motor and trailer separately.

emoney

Commander

Larry, it will be interesting to see what responses you get, however, I think the only spot that held that serial number was the aforementioned missing plate. Hopefully I'm wrong, but if not, then I'm not sure where you'll be able to ascertain that info? I'm assuming you don't have a copy or previous title to it, otherwise you wouldn't be asking, right?