1966 mercury 650 outboard/How much is it worth????

iamwill1973

Seaman
How much is this engine worth with controls and wiring? It cranks and runs well I have not mounted it on my center console yet as it is still on the old glastron that I got it with. I am only asking to see if I got taken on this purchase. I paid $500 for the boat trailer and motor. The trailer and boat had no title or registration. I forgot to put oil in a new to me 1996 60 hp elpto so it makes a noise like it has a bad rod bearing or wristpin. I only want something dependable if that exist lol. The engine looks to have been very well taken care of and I know I need to change the impeller but I am thinking I will test it on a boat before doing much else. The water comes out of the tell tale pee hole whatever you want to call it very well and running about 5 mins at a medium idle and it wasnt more than a lil warm.

emoney

Commander
Re: 1966 mercury 650 outboard/How much is it worth????

"You got a fantastic deal"...there, does that make you feel better?

The truth is, if you paid a guy $500 for whatever you got and he accepted it, then it was a good deal. As to anyone else' opinion on the matter, how will that change anything? If 50 people log in and say, "OMG, you got really taken on this one", what will change, other than your own feeling of self worth?

These type questions are usually better served asked BEFORE the transaction takes place. Afterwards and they can tend to leave a bad taste in our mouths, and when it comes to boating, it should ALL be fun. Good luck.

iamwill1973

Seaman

emoney no it doesnt make me feel better nor does the rest of your rant. I simply wanted to see if any intelligent life on this forum could place a value on a specific make and model engine. I have seen motors that old bought for what people on here say $100. But I wanted to know a realistic fair market value on it. My self worth has nothing to do with it, and honestly your simple little minded statements are not only disrespectful but downright rude. So e money why don't you take your smart asinine comments and keep them to yourself. Further more if someone knows what they they are talking about they usually talk about it. So SHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

iamwill1973

Seaman

Oh and by the way I really am let down by the people on this forum I guess boat people are ALOT different from motorcycle people. Any of the goldwing sites I am a member of would have as many replies as views and people would be honest and not sarcastic. Wow I hope the moderators of this forum check people like you emoney and ban accordingly.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Chill.
If the motor really runs well (you won't know until it is on the water...) then you did OK. Not great by any stretch, but OK.
Check the compression and spark first before you throw any money or time into it.

iamwill1973

Seaman

Tx where do values of outboard engines come from? I was only curious about the value, it is not crucial. I really like the look of the engine with the chrome and black. I have sold the boat and trailer so I only will have $125 in the motor itself. But you are very right about not knowing until it is on the water pushing a boat. I am not sure if I can take it out to check it out before I remove it from the boat I have sold or not. I am thinking about calling the game wardens here in nc to find out if you can just test run your boat if you do not dilly dally around. Thanks tx1961whaler for your input and advice I have a friend with a compression tester and will test in the next day or so. I will post what it is but I do not know what it should be other than somewhere over 125-130?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

125 psi would be very good, but it is more important that the cylinders be even (within 10%) with each other.
There is no real good source for values of old outboards, other than what people get for them in a local area. Banks don't make loans on them, so there is not a reliable book value like for cars.
Old outboards are not rare and are not in high demand, so it's really a willing buyer-willing seller on a given day kind of thing. They are also pretty well 100% a recreational item (except for a few commercial guys), so they fundamentally are worthless. 99.9% of people can do just fine without an outboard, unlike the case for a car. They may WANT an outboard, but they certainly don't need one to get to work or put groceries on the table.
There are also many boaters that really, really dislike anything old, due to perceived reliability issues with older stuff and their obvious attempt to make up for having small p@#$%#s. :D

iamwill1973

Seaman

I like that answer. Thanks for the compression info and I guess you are right about the other also. I just really like the look of the 1966 650 it has the chrome on black look of an old chevy or a new harley.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The old 650s are workhorses and are generally fairly easy to work on for basic maintenance stuff. If compression is good on yours, you're halfway home as it is.

Value is a tricky subject with old outboards. TX touched on it, as it is very subjective. The older 1950s era Mercs have a strong following, but the 1960s stuff is a much grayer area. They're not quite old enough to be antiques, but not quite new enough to be service motors for the general public. You pretty much HAVE to be a wrench to keep one as paying a marina to do anything more than basic maintenance will quickly tally up more in bills than the motor is worth, enough so that many places won't even bother with it.

That said, a mid-60s Merc 65hp will fit a broad range of vintage boats and is fairly sought after by a similar cadre of enthusiasts. Downside is there are more motors available than there are enthusiasts who are actively buying them, so the prices tend to stay down. I would say you got a good deal on yours, as a clean motor, with controls, that checks out as good on compression, and can be shown to run, would probably be worth several hundred. Keep in mind, it's still possible to put several hundred more into it, between fuel pump kits, carb kits, waterpump, going through the magneto, etc. Also, that several hundred you put into it likely will NOT be returned on your investment should you go to sell it later. It will still be a $400-$600 motor.

Weak point to keep an eye on - the driveshaft, particularly below the waterpump housing, is prone to rust. Mercury was late coming to the stainless steel game and as such their shafts were a carbon steel that was allergic to water. The pitting at that area is right at the upper gearcase seal and can allow water to enter the case. SST Speedi-sleeves can rectify the issue if the shaft isn't compromised from a strength standpoint.

Enjoy!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Actual engine value is based solely on local market. IE Your engine is worth zero in Florida or a $100.00 up north in a fresh water environment. There is no value for vintage outboards as collectibles other than a handful of "collectors" across the U.S. That does not mean that the engine is worthless. If it runs, it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. The problem is that the number of people falling off the turnip truck has decreased over the last 20 years as information has become much more accessible(Internet).

iamwill1973

Seaman

Bump still kind of looking for a more direct answer. I have seen some for 50 some for 100 some for 900 I guess something is worth what someone is willing to pay just weird that vintage outboards are really not worth more because they are vintage. Any motor that will do the speed or have the power for your application, will do be it 1 or 100 years old. Seems to me ALOT of the older outboards have so much more character than the newer ones in looks sound and in some cases power. I am not one of those guys that need everything new, the boat I bought this on is a early 70's glastron v178 my sons loves it's lines and wants to redo the floor and add seats. I stopped the sale of the boat. Seems some things are priceless.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

I think people gave you the answer...there isn't a direct answer,thats why theres no more replies.
You paid X amount of dollars,be happy.
If you go to sell it,charge $500 and the buyers will tell you if it's in the ballpark.
Have you tried the motor yet?

iamwill1973

Seaman

Yeah it runs great just overwhelmed with changing it over to my cc hull was told it would have minimum things to change but now it looks like I would have to change everything not physically or financially able to do it I don't think. I have it listed for 750 getting some interest no serious ones yet.