How tight should i bolt on the motor?

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
when i got my boat the transom was bad, i replaced it and the stringers and am now moving the engine up and down hunting for the sweet spot, i think im there at the 3rd hole. my :confused: How tight should i be bolting on this if i overtight will the mount break:confused:

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How tight should i bolt on the motor?

I don't know if foot/lbs, but mount it tight where there is no movement. I doubt that you will overtighten it to where you are crushing the transom anyway.

robert graham

Admiral

Good and darn tight...then double-nut it so it don't vibrate loose(which is highly unlikely anyway)...

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i used my 1/2 drive and tighten till fear of breaking the bolt:confused:hope i didn't over do it

B-Dozer

Seaman

I would get a manual jackplate. Then you can go up and down much easier.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Gooten Tite is good. No need to torque the hell outa em. Ya to play it safe use lock nuts or loctite or double nut em. Though personally I've never heard of one falling off.

Fyi it IS possible to crush a transom by overtightening the motor bolts. Not a new/sound transom mind you. But y'ought see the damage a couple rednecks with an impact wrench can do to a soggy one.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

If you have a Johnson or Evinrude, the mounting bolt torque is 40 ft. lbs.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Use nylon locknuts and make it nice and snub. As long as there is no movement, you are fine. No need to stretch the bolt with torque.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

its a 79 evinrude 85 i overtightened them i think by 60 or so:redface: should i break em loose and use the torqe wrench:confused:

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

Tightening them that tight,I'd replace them unless they're grade 8 bolts. It's possible to stretch a bolt,making it prone to breakage.
Over tightening a bolt can be worse than under tightening.