Evinrude E-tec 30hp vs. Honda bf30. Which one?

Glasspar69

Cadet
hey guys it me agian. i have recently gone to a honda dealer to look at different brands of motors i have also went too see Mercury,Suzuki, and Yamaha outboards. I have narrowed it down to Evinrude E-tec and Honda in my opinion those are the two most reliable and popular brands. but i cant decide which one? I own a 1969 14ft glasspar boat. the two motors are very close in weight but the E-tec has a slight weight advantage and since it is a 2 stroke it has more torque and displacemant. the honda is quieter and i think slightly but not much more fuel efficient than the E-tec So which one ? In your responses please say Evinrude E-tec or Honda and why you think it is better thank you. Please help me i want to make the right choice.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude E-tec 30hp vs. Honda bf30. Which one?

Tohatsu 4 strokes 30 HP EFI, cheaper than both, very reliable. Between Etec and Honda, Etec definitely more friendly commercial than Honda. Find Honda to be at a higher segment, that is more expensive, spare parts availibility, less dealers, service stations, etc.

Happy Boating

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

E-tec.

Glasspar69

Cadet

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind getting a tohatsu but I don't have one where I live I have a E-tec dealer 3 miles away from me and I have. A honda dealer 5 miles from me and I have a few more but they just service engines not sell them. I am favoring the E-tec dew to no service for 3 years or 300 hours and it has no break-period and as a fisherman I can appreciate that. But don't get me wrong honda also makes a good product but an E-tec just seems easier to own. Am I getting this write? Thanks for the responses

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Take this for what it's worth,on some Duck hunting forums they really like the 25-30hp etec's,except for price.
Havn't read anything bad about the Hondas either though,pricey as well.
I'd go Etec,great warranty/no service(3 years),North American owned,2 stroke(high tech though),little lighter,probably quicker(all helps on smaller boats)plenty of features and you have a dealer close by.
Just an opinion...as far as "right choice" who knows for sure,both are new outboards that have good reputations.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Between the two I would go with the Rude...But, the no service thing is complete BS. It's no dealer required service for for three years. It still has to be done by you, your mama or someone:) I'm about to order in two Etecs for an Army contract where they wanted Yamaha's, but the Etetcs are a better choice in my mind.

Glasspar69

Cadet

Well sounds like people are favoring the E-tec .I would like a few more responses to make sure and which ever brand I go with I will probably not buy till later this year but I will let you know when I order it and will post some pics of it on my boat