Mercury 150 Verado or new Mercury 150 Fourstroke

ut84088

Cadet
Hey guys,

I am looking at buying a new Lund boat. I've found two boats that are nearly the same but one has the new Mercury Fourstroke and the other has the Verado. They are priced about the same.

Do any of you have experience with the Verado? I have reservations due to the supercharger and complexity of the motor, controls, etc. Also, some have expressed concerns about buying a "first year" motor.

Any major maintenance/repair issues with the 150 Verados?

Looking for some input before I make the leap.

Thanks!

kirt123

Cadet
Re: Mercury 150 Verado or new Mercury 150 Fourstroke

I just got one in March. I had the same concerns and still do on the first year thing. It went on a 17.2 ft flats boat rated at 135 and I wanted 4 stroke as I had a 140 suzuki fourstroke. It is a lot lighter than the yamaha and suzuki which is the main reason I went with it. I can tell you that the 3.0 liter block puts out amazing torque and get very good holeshot. I have about 50 hours on it now and have been very impressed so far.

BBogey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boy, I'd sure like to see anymore input on this subject because I'm looking at the same dilemma?

Anyone??

Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Interesting, the Verado is 1.7L, vs the 4 cycle Merc is 3L, both are IL4 motors. The Verado is 65# heavier. The Verado is more complex with it's supercharging. Both make the same HP, but the 4 cycle motor is at 800 RPM less.

I do not see the advantage of the Verado, at this moment. The Verado is heavier, more complex and needs more RPM to makes it power, which implies less low end torque. Verado's less Displacement also implies less low end torque. If the Verado has some significant efficiency advantage, I would consider it.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

When I first saw the Verado, it was made in two horsepower versions and this puzzled me: Why supercharge an engine already made in a lower and higher horsepower when supercharging is used to increase horsepower? The reason the Verado is supercharged is because When 4 cycle engines were first being made for outboard use, the low displacement 4 cycle engine had trouble generating enough torque to plane some hulls. The supercharger significantly increased the low end torque.

Last edited: