Morse Throttle Control Question - What is this chrome thing for???

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer
I hope I am posting this in the right subforum.

I got this sweet Morse throttle control off of eBay. Seems to work great but there is this chrome knob that I am wondering about.

Its located above the shifter in this photo.

What does it do? It does not push in, pull out or seem to do anything. There is a control cable connected to the other side of it.

Anyone know what it is for?

Attachments

• MVC-450F.JPG
    MVC-450F.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Morse Throttle Control Question - What is this chrome thing for???

Probably the fast idle (neutral throttle) button but it is apparently seized. There is no way to fast idle and engine with the throttle lever since the minute you push it forward the engine goes into gear. A neutral throttle relase allows you to pull, turn, or push (whatever the design is) which then enables you to move the throttle forward without engaging forward gear. pulling the lever back snaps thinigs back together so the control works normally again. It may also be a throttle friction adjustment. That control allows you to adjust the friction on the throttle lever to prevent it from creeping back when you don't have your hand on it.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Its connected to its own control cable, however. The throttle is not connected to it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

So where does the other end of the cable go to?? And if it is not a fast idle control, how does this control achieve that function?? That chrome button and associated cable wouldn't be connected to the throttle -- it would be connected to the shift mechanism in the control. It's purpose is to disconnect the SHIFT from the THROTTLE -- not the other way around.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Silvertip nailed it. "That chrome button and associated cable wouldn't be connected to the throttle -- it would be connected to the shift mechanism in the control. It's purpose is to disconnect the SHIFT from the THROTTLE -- not the other way around."

What it does when pulled out, disengages the shift linkage. Then you have full throttle movement. Had same on my old Bayliner, 350 IO. Its NEEDED for say a carberated I/O motor, as you pull the button, then you can crank the throttle wide open to pump the carb with gas, and set the choke if not electric. Think same as setting the choke on older cars. And it will not spring back. When motor is warmed up, as you use the throttle for fast idle, back to neutral, push the button in, and now shifting is engaged. Also, do NOT ask me where it would be connected, as mine was behind the side panel, and I'm clueless on that.