hooking up a throttle and shift on a 9.8 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark00

Recruit
how do i connect a throttle cable and shift cable to my mercury 110, 9.8hp outboard?

Last edited by a moderator:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: hooking up a throttle and shift on a 9.8 hp

Pictures of both sides of the engine top half would help showing the levers that do the shift and throttle.

The process is an attachment point where the outer shell of the cable mounts via a bronze barrel that is threaded to the shaft....this allows for adjusting the engine positions to the control box positions. Then the inner conductor connects to the device to be moved and has some sort of locking mechanism. That's it. Most cables fit all engines. Only thing that you probably need would be some adapters to fit your engine.

Mark

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You need to look for remote control fittings kit in the spare parts manual for that model engine.

Happy Boating

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I may have been wrong on what is on the lower cowling to accept these SS adapters. It may be a pin and only one screw per side....the pin sticks in a hole in the adapter to keep it from twisting.....as a second screw would, and the screw sticks in the other hole and locks it to the engine.

Mark

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

Is the question about converting: tiller arm steering and throttle, to, remote steering and throttle?

occva1

Recruit
I have questions about converting a tiller arm steering and throttle to remote steering and throttle (Mercury 9.8 110 1978). Any help is much appreciated. I believe i have found what I need to attach the remote kit Mercury 39466A1. Is there anything else I need or should know about hooking that up? Also I have steering and a cable in place. Is this an easy change over? My current motor is a 1989 Johnson 48.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have questions about converting a tiller arm steering and throttle to remote steering and throttle (Mercury 9.8 110 1978). Any help is much appreciated. I believe i have found what I need to attach the remote kit Mercury 39466A1. Is there anything else I need or should know about hooking that up? Also I have steering and a cable in place. Is this an easy change over? My current motor is a 1989 Johnson 48.

This thread is over 3 years old. Please read the Help tip on top of the page for a explanation and start a new thread which has a better chance at getting the answers you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.