Can I take a freshwater outboard in saltwater bay>?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1952 17ft Speedqueen (1986 motor) 110HP Mariner outboard; always used in freshwater lakes but have moved to state where freshwater is limited.

I am have heard that I cannot take the boat in saltwater due to the cooling system in the outboard??? However I am unsure what that means exactly...

Can this motor be modified for saltwater or is there something I can do to take it in saltwater?

The boat is fiber glass.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Can I take a freshwater outboard in saltwater bay>?

Hi elizabeth. Sure you can use the same motor in the salt water and without any modifications. No such thing as a "saltwater" or "freshwter" boat or motor per se. We go back and forth between the two regularly in one trip down here in FL. The only thing to be mindful of is that you will want to rinse off the boat and motor and flush it out with freshwater when you're done for the day. To do so simply hose it down and then hook up the muffs and let it idle for 10-15 minutes. That's really about it. If you intend on using the in the saltwater more regularly, or storing it in saltwater for long periods of time, you'll need to look into installing sacrificial anodes on the lower unit of the motor to prevent galvanic corrosion (do a search here in the forums for the best anodes for your application), but you'll be find without them if it's just a couple quick trips. Btw, where did you move that freshwater boating is limited, but saltwater is not?

I moved to South New Jersey. They have one local freshwater river that flows to the delware bay. But all other lakes and such only allow electric motors. I just purchased a boat ladder from a guy here and he told me that if my motor has steel bolts that I should not take it out in the saltwater??? And the boat is fiberglass does that matter?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Flush the motor when you get home, wash off the boat and you are going to be fine. Many old tales that tend to panic people .......

Thalasso

Commander

Flush the motor when you get home, wash off the boat and you are going to be fine. Many old tales that tend to panic people .......

;);) Like said above. You will be just fine. Make sure as said run engine on muffs with fresh water.

Philster

Captain

Where ya boatin'? Maurice River and Delaware Bay? Just curious.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

They don't make freshwater outboards. You're lucky yours lasted as long as it did in fresh water. Get it in the salt where it will be happy!

The comment about the bolts has some truthiness to it. If your boat was rigged and repaired in a freshwater environment, it's possible some rigging and parts aren't stainless steel. Just keep an eye on things, and if you see something start to rust faster than others, replace it. For example, a motor mount bolt might not be correct. Or you may see it in cheaper parts, like a swim ladder bolt, which is SS but a lower grade. It's a constant annoyance here on the coast, but seldom a major problem.

Since your boat is a 1952, I'd ask some antique boat folks about anything special for its fittings.

Where ya boatin'? Maurice River and Delaware Bay? Just curious.

The Maurice river is the only place yet. But we wanted to tube and such...the river isn't that wide where we go...go I guess we just thought about the bay we haven't been yet

robert graham

Admiral

Of course you can use it in saltwater. The only outboard motor that I'm aware of that is "not recommended for saltwater" is the Briggs-Stratton 5HP 4 stroke. Good Luck!:)

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Just rinse and flush in freshwater EVERYTIME as everyone above is suggesting and you'll be fine

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Elizabeth, if you haven't done so already, get a chart of your area of the bay and study it. The bay in my area has many shallow spots that catch unwary boaters and often lead to problems running aground, chewing props, spinning hubs, etc. They may seem expensive, but they are ;)alot cheaper than remedies for any of the above

Apostle Paul

Recruit
Just bought an old '83 Bayliner with a Force 85 motor. Owner swore to me that it was ready for the water, but all it needed was a battery. I spent all my savings to get the boat and new battery. When I got it home, I connected the fuel tank and battery and turned it over. It started and sounds good, but the next morning I saw a pancake size wet spot on the cement. It's gas! Took off engine cover and saw it leaking from top carburetor with engine off, but not from it's hoses. I'm anxious to go bay fishing, but afraid it'll catch fire or worst, explode. Is it safe to run with that constant drip, until I can get it looked at, or do I have to dump more money into it? Something tells me that the owner knew it had a gas leak, judging by no battery and disconnected fuel tank. I should have taken the hint by the oil residue from the 50:1 mixture on the top outboard deck which leads me to believe he's been running it that way, but definitely knew about it. Not so water-ready after all. Advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.