Verado 275 vs Yamaha 250 vs Etec 250

TxHorns

Seaman
I'm sure this has been asked before but search didnt turn anything up. I'm thinking about these three engines for my Mako 231 (currently has twin 1992 140hp Johnsons on it). How will these compare to each other? There seem to be much fewer used yamahas available and they are a lot more expensive, so leaning towards the etec or the verado. I'd like a 4-stroke for better fuel economy and reduced noise, but I have heard mixed reviews about the Verado. Any thoughts? Thanks.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Verado 275 vs Yamaha 250 vs Etec 250

all 3 are surely great motors and up to your personal taste.

the etec may be- especially at crusing speeds - spot on or even superior to a 4stroke in regards of fuel consumption.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

There might be a reason why there are so few used Yamaha on the market. ;)

Verado: After owning a super charged car, not real thrill to get into supercharger outboards

E-Tec: Service could / is an issue. We only have three service centers in a 100 radius. I know three guys that repowered with E-Tec. Two are happy and one not so happy. The third is on his second power head in as many years. Not thrilled with dumping $40 a gallon oil in the tank no matter what the mix

Missing from list:
Suzuki. Used extensity but the commercial guys in the area. Starting to see more and more on the back of recreational boats as well.

robert graham

Admiral

Just curious, anything wrong with your 140HP Johnson's? If they're still running fine, it might be hard to justify the cost of 2 new motors just on gas mileage and sound(noise)?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Just curious, anything wrong with your 140HP Johnson's? If they're still running fine, it might be hard to justify the cost of 2 new motors just on gas mileage and sound(noise)?

Right, always part of the equation. Kinda like buying a new honda civic because your old Ford explorer is burning the heck out of gas. Does the gas savings outweigh the $300+ a month car payment that will now be made? Also Robert, I think he is going to repower with just one motor. Is this right Tx?

hoytvectrix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm a big fan of the E-TEC. Less moving parts in a 2 stroke, and the fuel economy is about the same as a 4 stroke

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

If these forums are any indication of popularity/problems, then one might conclude that Evinrude/Johnson is tops, followed by Merc/Mariner, then Yamaha/Suzuki.

I owned an 02 Suzuki 150 2 stroke...NEVER had one issue in the more than 5 years of use.

Philster

Captain

If you mentioned the 2-stroke Etec, then why not Optimax? That's Mercs 2-stroker.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I think these questions come down to cost and dealer support.

If I had to make a choice on repowering right now, I'd choose Evinrude. I'm familiar with them and very happy with my current motor. Also, the controls from any 1996 or newer Evinrude will work with an e-tec...sort of. The controls will work, the wire harness will have all the right plugs, but to get the most out of the e-tec you're going to want new gauges. Since your current motors are 1992s you might as well plan on a full re-rig and repower. New controls, new gauges, new oil tank (if you choose e-tec), new wire harness etc. That can add up to $1000 or more.

So, we get back to cost and dealer support. If the Evinrude is $14k and the closest dealer is 20 miles away, it may be be a better deal than a $12k Suzuki at a dealer 150 miles away.

So, what dealer support do you have in your area?

TxHorns

Seaman

sorry for long delay, not really sure on dealer support in my area. The guy I take my boat too though works on all different types of motors and he's very good (and relatively cheap too). The reason for the repower is just that I feel like I have lost a lot of power in my motors (does this really happen?), and also just concerned about something going wrong, i.e. lower unit fluid looks terrible everytime I change it. I don't want to plow much more money back into these motors if something expensive goes, so trying to be ready.