Power steering on 89 johnson 200gt

lutz32

Recruit
Hello this is my first post on this forum I am a new member. I am hoping someone can help me figure out how to put power steering on my boat. I have a 89 stratos 289fs with a 200gt on it. It has hydraulic steering right now, and is quite a bear to turn at certain speeds and I would like to put power steering on it to help. So my question is what all do I need to get to do this? Any help is appreciated. And I can post pictures if needed to help
Thanks Mike

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Power steering on 89 johnson 200gt

Welcome to iboats.

My very first questions........ are you certain the hydraulic steering is working properly? Is it harder to turn in one direction then another? At what speed (or speeds) are you having problems? What type of boat is this.....size, length and design?

lutz32

Recruit

I guess I'm not totally sure that it is working correctly. It is slightly harder to turn left than right. And its a stratos 289fs 20ft boat with a johnson gt 200. And it is harder to turn when going at slower speeds(befor the boat planes out) and if the motor is turn hard to one side it is difficult to straighten it out.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

On one of my old bass boats I was doing prop testing and at one point...... I had the motor mounted too high and it was near impossible to turn left. I ended up dropping the motor one bolt hole down and it was corrected but still hard. That is mainly from prop direction and torque.

You might want to bleed and even possibly replace the hydraulic fluid to eliminate crud and air bubbles. Hydraulic steering is pretty tough and it might need adjustments. Seals could be worn too....... is this a "new to you" boat?

lutz32

Recruit

Yes this boat is new to me. And I just spent 5 min today before leaving home looking at it and couldnt figure out where to add or remove the fluid without just detaching a hose? What is the best way of going about that? And as far as the seals go how hard are they to replace (if they can be) and where would I get them from?

lutz32

Recruit

Also how can you tell if the seal is bad?