Racor water separator-- what should be left in the bowl?

Cady8special

Seaman
Hey guys,

New (used) boat owner here. Never used a water separator until now, and I need a little help. I drained the bowl on my Racor filter, and it seemed to be mostly gas-- maybe there was some water in it, but it certainly looked and smelled like straight gas. I put it back on, and pumped a gallon of gas into a small tank, and again, the bowl was full of what seemed to be gas. I'm towards the end of my tank and had old ethenol gas in it, and just took it out of storage from the winter.

Before I go and replace the filter, can someone shed a little light? I would assume there should be nothing but water in there, am I wrong?

I've used the boat on 3 short trips already this season, and have had no issues, but I want to make sure this water separator is working properly before I go out again.

Thanks guys

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Racor water separator-- what should be left in the bowl?

Before I go and replace the filter, can someone shed a little light? I would assume there should be nothing but water in there, am I wrong?

Ayuh,.... Yes you are....

It should be full of gas, til it's displaced by water...
Gravity is the only thing that filters water outa gasoline....

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Cady....the separator works by filtering the larger water molecues and trapping them inside the filter. To verify the condition of your supply fuel you can prime the filter (pump up the primer bulb), carefully remove the canister, and pour the contents into a GLASS container. Leave it undisturbed for a few minutes; if there's water in it, it will settle to the bottom and the gas will float above it. It's a good idea to carry a spare. Have fun out there!

Cady8special

Seaman

Thanks a lot for the help guys-- never used one before-- the explanations make much more sense now. The filter was old anyway, so I ordered my new one today. The boat was run in Salt water though, and man was that filter stuck. The previous owner had it mounted in the rear compartment, just on the thin fiberglass wall. I would have had to pull way too hard for that thin wall, so I had to remove the entire assembly, bolt it to a piece of wood, and then wrestle the old filter off. The gasket was covered in Salt, and just siezed the thing. Had to be on there 5 years or more based on the rust and corrosion.

Anyway, I really appreciate the help guys. This website is a lifesaver!

gao7417

Recruit

Just recently bought one of these - also wondered about the gas in the bowl - thanks for the info. another question - when I try to drain out what is in the bowl by loosing the bottom drain - nothing comes out - I seem to have to unscrew the whole filter assembly in order to drain - is that how it's suppose to work ??? thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Doesn't make sense. Open the drain plug on the bottom, all the way and whatever is in the bowl will run out.

The bigger problem is getting the bowl to fill up again because the primer bulb is now air locked. I always change my filter after the motor has been up and running. That way, the carbs are full of fuel and motor runs off the gas in the carbs which primes the filter again. If you can't get the motor started, crack the fuel line somewhere after the primer build to release the air lock. Sometimes, just tilting the motor up will open allow the carb floats to open just enough to release the air so you to prime the filter using the primer bulb.

saumon

Lieutenant

Just recently bought one of these - also wondered about the gas in the bowl - thanks for the info. another question - when I try to drain out what is in the bowl by loosing the bottom drain - nothing comes out - I seem to have to unscrew the whole filter assembly in order to drain - is that how it's suppose to work ??? thanks
No, simply loosen the drain on the clear bowl by screwing it in ( turning it CLOCKWISE )...