• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

What size outboard for my 14' fiberglass V-hull?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size outboard for my 14' fiberglass V-hull?

Hi all,

I just bought an old fiberglass v-hull for playing around on the Chicago River. It's 14' with a 4 ft beam, rated for 4 pax and 475 lbs. I would like to get an outboard that is strong enough for me to venture out on Lake Michigan on calm days. What is the highest-rated outboard I could get, taking into account the weight of the outboard?

The previous owner said he had a 20hp short-shaft at one point, but used a 2.5hp for daily use. I have a line on a 1968 Sears/McCullogh 45hp, but it's around 190 lbs and I'm thinking that might be stern-heavy. Are there any flotation concerns with a boat this size and a motor that heavy? Is 25hp enough? 45hp too much? Thanks all.

Pics enclosed. Like I said, it's old -- last registered in IL in 1968.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3bf0723745c59bf17e26c0c63b44238f.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	120927

Name:	d7c3fdc10f681613a214fe68b9318029.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	120928

Name:	ef706feaf3b56e2dea098c5a652de15f.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	120930

Name:	46fa4a75b3eac967166b3feafde21cf9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	120931

Name:	f0c618d2d421383a987b93347652db89.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	120932

Re: What size outboard for my 14' fiberglass V-hull?

More pics.

Name:	b3751386239ddd523684d91ca5934858.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	120933

Name:	360dc6d1a76563d528e83548a3c78360.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	120934

Name:	fee805e2b45d0e07433252fa5b3a8b3f.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	120935

Comment

The boat clearly state a max HP of 10. That's all I'd put on it. Transom looks dicey for that even.
      1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
      Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
      1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
      Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

Understood -- I know it has a max rating of 10hp, but if I'm shuttling 2-3 people (or just me, the dog, and gear) will that cut it? I'm not looking to go fast, or go WOT, but I at least want to be able to maneuver in traffic.

I also made an assumption that a 10hp motor in 1962 (when the boat was manufactured) is a lot heavier than a modern 20-30hp motor, so that's why they gave it that rating, which is why I'm asking the power/weight question.

Comment

Actually newer motors are typically much heavier than the old ones. Especially 4 strokes. That boat looks like it needs some thorough checking in the transom to make sure it can even handle a 10. Definitely don't put more than that on there. For what it's worth, my uncle has a 9.9HP on a really stout aluminum hull and it moves out really nice. My dad and I run a lighter 14' aluminum with only a 4HP. It doesn't plane but it pushes even 3 adults and a toddler around quite well.

Comment

That's a scary looking boat considering the transom view. Weight? ezmobee is correct. On the other side of the a Merc 9.9 is the same as the Merc 15 with different carbs...5 hp more than your boat is rated. So really it comes down to the weight of the motor. Bottom line is that a 9.9 is perfect for that little boat. I had a 9.9 on a 12' glass open boat like this one and the darn thing would fly with 2 people in it.

And...me being me...I would fill under those bench seat with foam.
            Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late.

Remember, if you are going boating -- take your boat. Don't ask me how I know this.

Some men fish all their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after
            Henry David Thoreau

TightLine Fish Tech

Serious Lights for Serious Fishing

Little Eagle progress blog

Comment

Thanks for all the information and the anecdotal evidence. I'll take your guys' advice and stick with a <10hp motor; it sounds like there should be plenty of power to motor around.

I'll have the transom checked out by a professional to see if it's worth repairing (the boat itself was pretty darn cheap!). To the last point, I'm going to use 2# marine foam to fill those bench seats for sure -- one of the previous owners knocked out those "holes" for drainage, but it could definitely use some more flotation/rigidity.

Comment

The holes aren't a bad idea and neither is foaming it. I'd put a piece of PVC pipe in there when I foamed them to keep the drainage. If your transom is shot, we can help you tear it out and glass a new one in down in the restoration section. People have fixed up lesser boats.

Comment

You may also want to consider the closed-cell pink/blue construction foam available at Lowes,HD. It's waterproof, doesn't involve nasty chemicals, and may be cheaper and easier to get than 2 part foam. You can easily cut it to any shape you like and simply glue the layers together. Pool noodles are also a great source of flotation and can usually be had at your local dollar store for cheap (especially if you buy in bulk). I would also try to keep/allow for drainage too. Try as ye might, water can and will get into everything in a boat in time, so you may as well give it a way back out. Good luck. Keep us posted. We love pics.

Comment

Looking at pic 5 you can clearly see the transom is bent and is starting to fail so before you put any engine on it you need to address that, and 10 is 10 the weight of the engine doesn't matter and has no bearing on the transom rating, a 45 on that woud be a very very short trip and a refresing swim.
                    GO IRISH!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the additional input -- I'm definitely going to stick with 10 or less per the boat's rating. I have yet to pick her up from the previous owner, so once I do in a couple of weeks I'll take some more pictures and do some transom assessment. Hopefully it just needs to be bent back into place, or just shoring up, rather than replacement.

Per ezmobee's suggestion, I checked out transom repair/rebuild/restoration discussions for fiberglass boats and it's definitely something I can accomplish if necessary. Looking forward to everyone's input.

Comment

if the max motor (10) isn't enough for your load, you need a bigger boat or smaller load. You can't fix weight with horsepower over the limits.
                        a 14' boat is generally too small for 3 adults and a toddler (the latter ups the ante toward stupidity). And regardless of what the plate says, 4 in that boat is asking for trouble.
                        Your rating is not 475 AND 4 passengers; its 475 OR 4 passengers. Your motor is part of the 475. So a 75# motor leaves room for 4 people who weigh 100# each, naked and no gear. I don't see many of them around any more.
                        A man of constant boat tinkering.

Comment

Originally posted by Home Cookin' View Post
                          a 14' boat is generally too small for 3 adults and a toddler (the latter ups the ante toward stupidity). And regardless of what the plate says, 4 in that boat is asking for trouble.
                          My example wasn't to indicate that he could carry that load in his boat, just showing what we pushed around fine with a small motor. FYI we were on a dead calm 10HP limit small lake with that load.

Comment

you're right, ez, I jumped too fast and was thinking about the OP and his boat. I've put good sized loads in my 14' jon but it's a square bow wide body and very stable. I know you are experienced and would choose wisely. Sorry.
                            A man of constant boat tinkering.

Comment

Originally posted by nhblock View Post
                              Understood -- I know it has a max rating of 10hp, but if I'm shuttling 2-3 people (or just me, the dog, and gear) will that cut it? I'm not looking to go fast, or go WOT, but I at least want to be able to maneuver in traffic.

2-3 people, the motor, fuel, gear....and you're hoping to stay UNDER the 425lb weight limit? Get yourself a bigger/better boat.
                              1975 Starcraft SS-16' / 1977 Evinrude 75hp now w/ CMC power trim and tilt
                              17p prop- 36 mph @ 5900 rpm ( 2 people, 12 gals fuel, 2 batteries)

1975 Starcraft Super Sport- Resto currently "in progress"
                              http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=547770

Comment

Working...
                              X