help me win this bet

crazyhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my friend is tring to tell me that a prop has a clutch in it. i have tried to tell him that it is just a hub that slips over the shaft but he wouldnt belive me. he has bet me some gatorades if i win!!!

mnRIVERrat

Cadet
Re: help me win this bet

why don't you just show him one of the pictures on here of a prop and hub for sale. seems simple enough

crazyhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tried to tell him to look i even said i would pull mine of and show him but he is so sure that it has one lol he wants it in written proof that why i posted this

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think there were some "Other Brand Outboards" that used a centrifugal clutch to take a load off the engine at idle and engage when throttled up. They were rare and not very good for trolling. I don't think those clutches were in the prop, however. There were also some FW/Neutral outboards made, but those had the usual dog clutch in the foot.

I know of no outboard, mainline or off brand, that has/had a clutch in the prop.

I have read over a million posts here in the last 11 years and recall no other mention of any prop with a clutch in it.

I think this is about as close as you will get to "written proof", as it is merely a well experienced opinion.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe he's confusing the rubber hub cushion with a clutch....it's not a clutch but does offer some cushion protection for the prop, gears and driveline upon a prop strike.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Maybe he's confusing the rubber hub cushion with a clutch....it's not a clutch but does offer some cushion protection for the prop, gears and driveline upon a prop strike.

right--you and your friend need to define "clutch." To me a clutch is a device that puts a drive in and out of gear (clutch dog in the LU) and/or that can take the drive out of gear without reducing engine speed. these are not part of the prop any more than a car's clutch is part of the wheel.

As for the hubs that Robert describes, maybe this is where he is confused: if you hit something hard enough for the rubber hub to slip (as opposed to breaknig the prop or shaft, it's purpose in life), sometimes the prop will continue to function as before. More often it is "spun' and will still function at low speeds but slip at higher speeds/loads.

There is also the shear pin, found in older motors, where the pin, made of softer metal, breaks before the prop/shaft. You just change the pin and go on your way. hardly a clutch in my book, but it's in the prop.

robert graham

Admiral

I think there were some "Other Brand Outboards" that used a centrifugal clutch to take a load off the engine at idle and engage when throttled up. They were rare and not very good for trolling. I don't think those clutches were in the prop, however. There were also some FW/Neutral outboards made, but those had the usual dog clutch in the foot.

I know of no outboard, mainline or off brand, that has/had a clutch in the prop.

I have read over a million posts here in the last 11 years and recall no other mention of any prop with a clutch in it.

I think this is about as close as you will get to "written proof", as it is merely a well experienced opinion.
My old Tanaka Outboard has a centrifugal clutch right under the powerhead, as does also the Honda 4 stroke 2HP motor, but I think the OP was thinking about something in the prop hub itself, which I've never seen or heard of.;)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

he asked us in another thread to help HIM win the bet!!!!!!!

seriously if you guys didnt clearly define the bet, neither one of you will win. and will just get frustrated with each other! ha ha ha ha

bob

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

Easiest way to settle this bet is get HIM to show you a prop WITH a clutch. Onus of proof goes both ways.
:)

tpenfield

Staff member

my friend is tring to tell me that a prop has a clutch in it. i have tried to tell him that it is just a hub that slips over the shaft but he wouldnt belive me. he has bet me some gatorades if i win!!!

Gatorade . . . huh . . . ???

Perhaps you should refer to a dictionary in order to settle the bet.

"Clutch" implies the ability to grab and let go in a controlled fashion.

"Hub" is the center of a wheel, fan or propeller. Hubs of boat propellers have the ability to absorb impact, but not the ability to grab and let go in a controlled fashion.

Therefore hubs do not have clutches.

Drink up.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Be careful what you bet on, you may lose. Virtually all outboards since the 1950's have some sort of propeller protection, in addition to shear pins. The are often called SLIP CLUTCHES by the manufacturer, because they hold up to a certan amount of torque, then slip till the obstruction has passed, then grab hold and continue to drive normally. It would be harder to find a motor that does NOT have such a feature, than to find one that does.

Attachments

• Prop Cutaway.jpg
    Prop Cutaway.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Slip clutch.jpg
    Slip clutch.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

that's a hub, all right, but calling it a "slip clutch" doesn't make it a clutch any more than calling it "root beer" makes it beer or closer to home, a "clutch dog" makes it a dog.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

So what are the terms of the bet? "Slip Clutch", "Neutral Clutch", or just Any Clutch. Those guys need to bury the hatchet and drink the Gatoraid.

nwcove

Admiral

i have a motor that is listed as clutch drive, never had it apart to see whats there, but the " clutch" is definitely in the lu, but not the prop.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

And just to muddy the waters a bit: What about the old Torque shift props? Not really a clutch, but a mechanical linkage. The bettor may have seen one of those and thought it was a clutch prop.

crazyhunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for all the post i will show him this thread tomorrow and claim my prize i know its not much but its funny when he looses he gets mad he hates bein proved wrong

nwcove

Admiral

but hes not proved wrong! its all in how you define "clutch"! lol share your " gatorades" and enjoy the debate.