OMC Sea Drive installation help

pabble

Cadet
I'm looking for mounting instructions for a 1988, 2 liter 140hp OMC Sea Drive. Specifically, I need to know how high to mount it on the transom. Any help would be appreciated - please email direct to sunrider@lisco.com. thanks.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Sea Drive installation help

There are several posts on mounting height for outboards and all those same "rule of thumb" things apply. However, the big downfall with a Sea Drive was that many times it could not be mounted high enough. That results in water injestion. Basicaly water (mist) comes in the air intake and gets injested into the motor and takes out the top and bottom bearings. <br /><br />"How high" depends a lot on the hull type and style of prop you are going to run. Unfortunately the Sea Drive does not have the ability to be adjusted up and down like an outboard. Some Sea Drives could not be mounted high enough because there was not room on the transom to go higher. Particularily on Wellcrafts and Pro Lines. <br /><br />Good luck!

MeMalato

Cadet

This isn't an answer to a question of yours, but I do need some help. I have a 89' 1.6L Sea Drive 115. I put a new ignition switch in, rebuilt carbs, new impellar, pulled heads to decarb, new power pack. The engine starts ok cold, but when it gets hot...it stalls and I restart it and it may idle or may not and if it does it idles like its running on 3 cylinders. As soon as I put it into gear it dies... I let it sit awhile and it starts but idles rough....and Im lucky if I put it into gear and the things goes....Running out of patience...any input would be help full

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

To my knowledge OMC Sea Drives were almost always mounted on a transom bracket(extension).I did hear of water intrusion problems with those motors mostly from being too low to the water,or from backing down.I've seen Sea Drives with the motor cowling 1' or less off the water. :eek: <br />I would think if you center the motor perfectly and the cavitation plate is even with the bottom of boat,you should be okay.