9.9 Johnson conversion from tiller to Remote on 14' jon boat

Chriswalden

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 14' jon boat with a 9.9 johnson.I am trying to figure out the cheapest and easiest way to convert it from tiller control to remote control, but have not figured out what cables or controls to use for the throttle and shifter. I am going to rig up a rudder pedal system for the steering. I am going to run some light weight cables from eye bolts on the engine steering bracket through a series of small pulleys up the front seat. I have designed my pedl setup arleady and just have to build/ install it. The throttle and shifter cables have stumped me though. Any help would be awesome. It is so hard to find any information on this type of conversion for this engine.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 9.9 Johnson conversion from tiller to Remote on 14' jon boat

Seems a little involved are you just trying to get more weight forward?
Have you thought of a homemade tiller extension?to get you to the middle seat?
that would get you the throttle as well then just move back to the motor for shifting usually done at no wake speed anyway.
Tiller made from possibly new or used pvc pipe.If you need to steer no hands you probably could use your hip or a knee
or elbow.Normally cables would be plastic covererd and will require tensioning springs.
Or use a piece of 1/2" electric conduit new or used set in guides near the side of the boat bent to allign with hand and
a arm attached to the motor.If on the starboard side push forward for left pull back for right.You might use a long choke cable for a throttle.secured along the conduit.Whether it will move the throttle linkage is a mystery.
This tube or pipe steering was used on straight inboards for for 60 or more years.

Chriswalden

Seaman Apprentice

I am trying to move to the middle seat, which is actually the farthest forward seat you can sit in and still face forward in my boat, so I can see better over my hunting/fishing partner while we are out in the wee hours of the morning getting to our hunting spot. It is very hard to see around him. It is getting really popular around here, all the duck hunters are doing it. It would pretty much be like a stick steer system, but I am going to make one myself. I have to be able to control throttle, shifting and steering from this remote console due to some of the tough currents and sticky situations we get into out on the Savannah River. As for teh pedals, they are so I don't have to take up to much space in the boat to add a steering console or anything like that. The Spring tension on the steering cable is genius. I have not thought about that, that is genius, thank you. Also I cannot extend the tiller handle beacuse then no one would be able to sit in the rear most seat, this has nothing to do with weight or I would put ballast up front.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, Any idea on the year of the engine or do you have a picture you can post? Just checked ebay and there are older Johnson control cable sets available from about 40 bucks-up. Not sure just what else may be required for conversion, but there may be something here in the Johnson Outboard section where it has been asnwered before?, you might consider checking. Seems the shifter is pretty-much straight forwards, but the internal throttle control mechanism may be something that would also be needed?

Chriswalden

Seaman Apprentice

It is a 1980 J10RCSE 9.9.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Attachments

• twist%20grip.jpg
    twist%20grip.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 0