What octane gas is best to use for a two stroke outboard motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

richvr6

Cadet
I am new to the boating family and I want to make sure I get all my stuff ready for the spring. I have a 96 Bayliner Capri 1700 LS.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant
Re: What octane gas is best to use for a two stroke outboard motor.

What motor do you have? Force?
87 is what most outboards need. Anything more is a waste of $
There may be a label on the side of the motor, if so it probably says 87.

Good Luck!
DAve

richvr6

Cadet

What motor do you have? Force?
87 is what most outboards need. Anything more is a waste of $
There may be a label on the side of the motor, if so it probably says 87.

Good Luck!
DAve
Yes, it's a 120 force mercury

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Although using higher octane gasolines are a waste of $, on the other hand, more pricey gasolines have better cleaning solvents than cheaper ones, will clean better, burn better, produce less carbon buil up on pistons & cylinder head specially if you are a non carbon guard products user at all.

Happy Boating

r.j.dawg

Ensign

The higher octane fuel (91), at least up here, is ethanol free. Shell and Husky stations for sure.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I put premium in my tank this time, for the first time that I can remember. Since I don't get out much any more I felt that the premium would have more of the violatile compounds to evaporate so that when I get around to using my boat I will still have the equivalent of 87 octane....but that is just a theory, unfounded and non supported.

But I do use Sea Foam and it keeps my engine squeaky clean.

Mark

Philster

Captain

Fuel does lose octane over time. So, for storing it or nursing it all season, little extra octane is good.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

If you're looking for solvents in the higher octane fuels to clean out the fuel system, the ethanol itself is a great solvent to loosen up crud in the fuel system. Unfortunately it's a great solvent and loosens up crud in the fuel system....tiny little jets in the carb don't like that. I second the Seafoam...great product.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

In the US (I have no idea about Peru) the additive package is the same for all octane ratings, all you get is a higher octane, which is of no value in an outboard unless the manual states otherwise (which it does on a few motors).

Premium is E-free in only some regions and stations, and they are few and far between.

There are many self proclaimed miracle products on the market that claim to solve every perceived issue you may have with E-10 fuel, most do nothing, a few may help a little in just a few problem areas. These aren't really needed, but if you plan to leave the motor sit for a long period of time (a month is not a long period of time) use a fuel stabilizer.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

In the US (I have no idea about Peru) the additive package is the same for all octane ratings, all you get is a higher octane, which is of no value in an outboard unless the manual states otherwise (which it does on a few motors).

Premium is E-free in only some regions and stations, and they are few and far between.

There are many self proclaimed miracle products on the market that claim to solve every perceived issue you may have with E-10 fuel, most do nothing, a few may help a little in just a few problem areas. These aren't really needed, but if you plan to leave the motor sit for a long period of time (a month is not a long period of time) use a fuel stabilizer.

^^^ +1

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You Know: We could go on and on ad infinitum (can you spell redundant?) about the merits or lack thereof of various octane and brands of gasoline and additives. In fact, in previous threads we have!

The fact is this: Force engines are about as simple and old school engineering as you can get. They are not fussy at all and almost anything that burns will not harm them.

If you are going to store it for a long while: The engine simply doesn't care! I have used gas that was five years old and smelled like turpentine.

I regularly leave my gas in the tank over the winter with no additives-- The engine always fires right up the next season.

Bottom line: Use the cheapest gasoline you can find at 87 octane and the cheapest TCW-3 oil.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You Know: We could go on and on ad infinitum (can you spell redundant?) about the merits or lack thereof of various octane and brands of gasoline and additives. In fact, in previous threads we have!

The fact is this: Force engines are about as simple and old school engineering as you can get. They are not fussy at all and almost anything that burns will not harm them.

If you are going to store it for a long while: The engine simply doesn't care! I have used gas that was five years old and smelled like turpentine.

I regularly leave my gas in the tank over the winter with no additives-- The engine always fires right up the next season.

Bottom line: Use the cheapest gasoline you can find at 87 octane and the cheapest TCW-3 oil.

That's about what I do, I have a couple bottles of Stabil that are several years old, I keep thinking I'm going to add them, but I never do.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Most people don't know how the octane rating works they just see a guy putting premium in his Corvette ro built up stret rod and think high octane equals high performance but the higher the octane the slower the gas burns and the harder it is to ignite, the extra octane is to prevent preignition or knock so it may actually make a normal engine run worse.

Premium is for high compression engines which outboards aren't, regular unleaded is fine and run the Sea Foam or similar and it will be fine.

Shane7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I burn premium in my pre 1958 Johnson's because I was told that it burns hotter also I seem to use less in these motors as a result (they don't have thermostats)

jkust

Rear Admiral

Two stroke engines are very forgiving. On the other hand higher octane gas can cover the dieseling symptom that many I/O engines have so not totally useless. I think my old Force could run on vegetable oil if I tried.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I burn premium in my pre 1958 Johnson's because I was told that it burns hotter also I seem to use less in these motors as a result (they don't have thermostats)

It doesn't. Like has been said, there are many myths and misunderstandings about premium gas.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

its a trick from the gas company.
85/87/91 really... big difrance here- not!
my guess is usually the gas all comes from the same bat anyway.
Now like the purple race fuel at like 118 octain at 6 bucks a gallen,
only achives one thing -to stop pre ignition ping in high compresion motors- it ads 0 hp. and in some cases decreases hp.
its purpase
so imho those who by the more expensive gas must enjoy watching their gas bill explode...

5150abf

Vice Admiral

It makes me giggle evertime I see Junior putting racing gas in his moms buick for a big night out racing around town.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The only time higher octane fuel is an advantage is if the engine is ECU controlled and even then it must have a knock sensor or other means of identifying detonation. Higher octane means less tendency to detonate and the ECU can then automatically provide increased ignition advance. Without such an ignitiion system the engine needs only the octane the manufacturer specifies. Anything more is indeed a waste. If an engine runs-on (diesels), adjust it or add an anti-diesel solenoid that was standard on the early emissions engines.

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Basically dont worry about the octane just try to find gas without ethanol" that stuff is hard on the rubber parts and your mileage drops"If you cant find ethanol free fuel in your location use a fuel treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.