2004 Mercury 75 Four Stroke Experiences

dwb03

Recruit
I have come across a 2004-75ELPT-4S Mercury outboard for sale. I have searched for reviews on this motor and have not found much. It seems that the 90 version of this motor had some issues with clogged carbs.

Does anyone have any comments on the reliability or performance of this motor?

Thanks,

Dave

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class
I cannot speak for that particular motor, but the issue of clogged carbs is possible on any carbed engine! Particularly when old fuel lines have ethanol fuel ran through them and bits of broken down rubber make it to the carb jets. Get an inline fuel filter and keep an eye on it. Learn how to work on carbs.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2004 Mercury 75 Four Stroke Experiences

Clogged carbs can be an issue on any engine. The cause is not a "design issue". It is a maintenance/neglect issue. Ignore the fuel system on any engine and you will have a clogged carburetor issue. Continue to ignore it and you will have a very serious engine issue.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi all, Like a lawn mower or snow thrower, yacht or all seasonal fuel powered engines, out of season-sitting can create it's own problems due to poor pre-storage maintenance. This includes battery maintenance where applicable. I have surely had my share of paying for ..'well it'll be ok til next season' thinking--lol

Penage

Recruit

Assume that this has been resolved, but just joined and wanted to note that I have had problems with this motor, all immediately after it went out of warranty: both fuel pumps had to be replaced, the starter had to be replaced, and it is now in again because it will not start. Used regularly (to get to an island cottage), maintained regularly, and run lightly, so the problem is with the motor. Wish I had gotten a Honda or Yamaha!