Oil shelf life?

daselbee

Commander
Does XD50, XD100, regular TCW3, the oils we use for OBs, Does this oil have a shelf life?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Oil shelf life?

No. If they did it would be a lot longer than ours :)

daselbee

Commander

Yeah...if i buy a 16 gal drum of XD100, then I will probably have to leave it to someone in my will......:D

Thx JB

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does XD50, XD100, regular TCW3, the oils we use for OBs, Does this oil have a shelf life?
Been told my a synthetic oil mfg (name witheld) tech dept rep that shelf life for their synthetic 2 cycle oil was 5 years unopened and 3 years once bottle opened. Another rep from Castrol (my uncle) told me petroleum 2 cycle oil = forever. How true ... donno.

BillP

Captain

I can say this about that. I bought a ton (cases and cases) of BelRay full synthetic around 1981 for dirtbikes. The oil has been in use ever since in all my air cooled two stroke lawn equip engines. One of them is a Ryan weed eater that I bought new in 1985 at Kmart. It has been run 6-8 months out of the year here in Florida ever since and still starts and runs perfect. I also add a tad to the 4 stokes gas...lawn mower and lawn tractor. The briggs 4.5 hp lawnmower is 10+ yrs old and starting to smoke when first cranked...otherwise stil aok and I rarely change the oil in it. The lawn tractor is 12 yrs old john deer with an 18 hp briggs...same dea but I do change the crankcase oil on this one. So I guess the 20 yr old oil hasn't degraged enough to hurt anything yet. I just opened the last container of the stuff so the empiracle testing will end soon. The only thing that bothers me about old oil is old technology...ref tcw2. To me there is more hype about shelf life than reality anyway. But certainly it's in the oil best interest for everyone to discard old oil and buy new from them.

bp

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well the oil was millions of years old when it was pumped, refined, and bottled so you would think it would last for ever but not so. I have to go to Phillips 66 training every year (i'm in aviation) and i asked this same question. the reason most oils have a shelf life of only 2 1/2- 5 years isn't beacuse of the oil that is millions of years old breaking down, it is because of the break down of all of the other chemical additives in that oil that give it it's high tec lubricating properties. but if in question if it is still good dont chance the life of your engine to a $4 bottle of oil. also you don't have to throw away that oil, it works great in your chain saw as bar oil.

BillP

Captain

well the oil was millions of years old when it was pumped, refined, and bottled so you would think it would last for ever but not so. I have to go to Phillips 66 training every year (i'm in aviation) and i asked this same question. the reason most oils have a shelf life of only 2 1/2- 5 years isn't beacuse of the oil that is millions of years old breaking down, it is because of the break down of all of the other chemical additives in that oil that give it it's high tec lubricating properties. but if in question if it is still good dont chance the life of your engine to a $4 bottle of oil. also you don't have to throw away that oil, it works great in your chain saw as bar oil.

I wonder if EPA's changes have caused additives to have a shorter life in recent years?

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds right ... oil = forever ... additive = nope ... I buy that LOL