Mercury Marine Debunks More Ethanol Myths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Mercury Debunks More Ethanol Myths

Mercury Marine, the world's largest manufacturer of marine engines, recently held a webinar to debunk some of its own myths about ethanol. I attended with interest. The first myth was that there are fuel additives that can prevent all issues associated with ethanol-blended gasoline. For example, no fuel additive can prevent ethanol from acting like a solvent. The second myth was that fuel additives can make stale or phase-separated fuel useable. "Fuel cannot be rejuvenated," Mercury determined, and they noted that it's a myth that ethanol-blended fuels are bad and should be avoided. Here are some quotes from the Mercury Marine webinar.

"There is no active transfer mechanism for ethanol molecules to reach out and 'grab' water molecules out of the air. Under normal storage conditions, even in a vented fuel tank, it just does not happen at a level or rate that is relevant."
"Major multi-billion dollar companies with enormous resources have improved gasoline additives but there have been no recent breakthroughs involving 'magical technology.' Claims made by companies about 'space-age,' 'revolutionary,' or special proprietary technology should be looked at with a high degree of suspicion."
"E10 Ethanol absolutely IS an acceptable fuel for everyday use."
"E15 Ethanol absolutely IS NOT an acceptable fuel."
"After the transition period from E0, E10 may actually be a superior marine fuel as it tends to keep low levels of water moving through the fuel system, keeping the system 'dry.'"
"Don't immediately assume E10 is the problem."

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury Marine Debunks More Ethanol Myths

My gosh! How ironic is that! Have I not contended E-10 is not the devil fuel is is made out to be? The only issues in our area, as I've always contended -- old vehicles/engines with neglected fuel systems would be cleaned up and the gunk deposited in fuel filters with some sneaking through to bugger a carburetor. Owners unwilling to accept the fact that their engine was was gagging on something paid the price when the lean condition burned it down. The very same thing was happening on the previously available "regular" fuel but nobody complained. Is it a perect solution for a non-issue? Of course not. It was developed as an alternative but our government mandated its use so that makes it mandatory for some. Anyone old enough to have owned a car in the northern border states prior to the mandate will likely remember "gas line freeze" and the remedy for it. Does the name "Cristy Dry Gas" (or the gazillion other comparable products) ring a bell? Northern states that have mandated E-10 no longer have an issue with winter time gas line freeze.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ah yes, Cristy DryGas. Remember it well. Was always the first thing to try when a car got hard to start in cold weather. It's been a long time but I seem to recall it smelled like alcohol. MMMM.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Great info, Fazt one. Thanks.

Gonna stick it so many can benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.