Tohatsu 20hp vs 25 hp

Tnriverluver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi new to forum with a question. I have a new Tracker 15/42 flatbottom currently running a 1975 model 25 Evinrude. My question is I am wanting to get a new 4 stroke for better reliability over my old motor. Is there much performance difference between the Tohatsu 20 and 25hp considering the 25 weighs nearly 60lbs more than the 20? Is it worth the considerable cost difference to get the 25hp?

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 20hp vs 25 hp

jmo, id do a rebuild on the 25 omc, its not as fuel efficient or as clean as the four stroke, but it will give you less grief in the long haul.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

Not enough performance to justify an additional 60lbs. An additional 5hp generally will add a few mph on the top end and also better take off power.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hi new to forum with a question. I have a new Tracker 15/42 flatbottom currently running a 1975 model 25 Evinrude. My question is I am wanting to get a new 4 stroke for better reliability over my old motor. Is there much performance difference between the Tohatsu 20 and 25hp considering the 25 weighs nearly 60lbs more than the 20? Is it worth the considerable cost difference to get the 25hp?

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

I bought my (9.8) Tohatsu from Onlineoutboards

I LOVE it! I would buy another one from them too!

20hp shortshaft (manual start+ tiller) is 114lbs

The 25hp manual/tiller is 158lbs. (That's only about 34lbs more using my math)

According to their policy, they'll ship the 20 directly to you but will not ship a 25.
http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu-20-hp-Outboards.html
http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu-25-hp-Outboards.html

The 25 is about $1000 more than a 20.

AND depending on where you live, you may be able to get the 20 with no tax (shipping is included)

The 20hp engine is rated at 20 PROP hp.

The '75 25hp OMC engine is crankshaft rated so the HP difference will be nearly insignificant.

I just went and looked at a
2011 TRACKER[SUP]?[/SUP] Topper? 1542 LW Riveted Jon
on their site. If we're talking about the same thing, it appears to weigh 190lbs...... and is rated at a max of 25hp.

While I would always get the highest HP engine (by the boat rating plate), if your boat performs ok with the old 25, it'll probably be more than adequate with the 20 Tohatsu and you will be done with mixing gas and limitations on what lakes you can operate on!

Regards,

Rick
B3.gif

Tnriverluver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replys. The 20hp elec. is 120lbs where as the 25 is 178lbs !!!!!!. The way they rate the Hp these days compared to how my old 25 evin. was measured made me think I was on the right track. I think I will just go with the 20 since it is also close to the same size as the old 2 smoke. I can't get a good deal with Onlineoutboards as I live in Tenn. thus have to pay sales tax, however Boats.net has a cheaper price and free shipping YEAH!!!

Tnriverluver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also another reason I want to stay away from the 4 stroke 25 is they are HUGE! Remind me of the old 200Hp I had on my Stratos 201 Pro.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The only other thing you might consider is The 20hp engine is carbureted and the 25 is an EFI engine. The EFI engine will probably burn less than HALF what the 2-smoker burns!

Also, 60lbs is not a real big deal. (and in any case, you may want to put your fuel tank or battery closer to the front to balance everything out anyway)

Looks like you're doing your homework!!!

Whatever you get, post a couple of pictures when it's all together!

We love pictures!!

Cheers,

Rick

Tnriverluver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my boat.jpgOnly picture I have of it all in one picture. By the way the 25 evinrude makes this boat fly. Guessing 32-34 mph. Not many places around here where the water is slick enough to run that fast in a flat bottom for any distance before encountering large boat wakes or larger waves.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Tohatsu 20 HP is 350 CC and Tohatsu 25 HP is 525 CC, both are completely different 4 strokes animals and are carbed engines too, Tohatsu does not have a EFI engine under 40 HP.

Happy Boating

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Tohatsu 20 HP is 350 CC and Tohatsu 25 HP is 525 CC, both are completely different 4 strokes animals and are carbed engines too, Tohatsu does not have a EFI engine under 40 HP.

Happy Boating

Hmm, I wonder why they would say the following engines are 25hp EFI engines

25hp EFI 4-Stroke Fuel Injection,
30hp EFI 4-Stroke Fuel Injection

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu-25-hp-MFS25BS.html

Um, nevermind!;)

Answered my own question!

TOHATSU INTRODUCES NEW 25/30HP 4-STROKE "EFI" MODEL
http://www.tohatsu.com/news/2530efi.html

If it were me, I might get the 25hp EFI model!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, yes you are correct 25 is a EFI, 20 not. The 25 is an excellent alternative to have in mind.

Happy Boating

Tnriverluver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Having never owned a fuel injected outboard I am curious do you run them dry of fuel like you do a carbed outboard for extended periods of non-use? That is the only way I have ever had success keeping my carbed outboards running good in my nearly 40 years of boating.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It would be nice if they were run dry, but, it's an involved process on this model. So, unless you are going to be in storage for more than a month, don't bother.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If I was buying new I would give the direct injected Evinrude Etec 2 stroke 25 a close look.
The 4 stroke has many,many more moving parts.Etec has no service required for 3 years or 300 hours.
Fewer less complicated service intervals. Weights are about the same as the 25 you are considering.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I think I would also, if what I found is correct and I had decided on the 25hp electric start engine........

25hp ETEC electric start, best price I found was around $3500 so.

2012 Evinrude E-Tec 25hp E25DTEIN (direct injected 2-stroke / tiller model / electric start / manual tilt / 15″ shaft length / 146lbs. / aluminum prop / 6 gallon fuel tank and hose / blue or white color / 3 year warranty).

Same search for a 25hp electric start EFI Tohatsu was around $4100

Shaft Length:15" (Short)
Drive Type: Tiller Handle
Starting:Electric Start
Trim/Tilt:Gas Assist
Weight:178.6 lb

If that stuff above is correct, the Rude would be 30lbs lighter and around $600 less......

Tnriverluver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where did you find an Etec for $3500? That might be a good option if shipping isn't too bad. Right now I can get the Tohatsu with free shipping to my door and no sales tax! There are some incredible deals on brand new 2 stroke Yami's but they have to be shipped to and installed by a dealer:( for the warranty.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

With the push towards 4 strokes and the limited knowledge of those checking engines at lakes that are restricted to 4 strokes I would be inclined to go 4 stroke. In fact, I did and I love mine. I've got a Merc 60 EFI which is like comparing apples to oranges but I also had a 4 Stroke Nissan 18hp on a 14' boat that topped out around 25mph. The 25hp Tohatsu is generally a smoother idleing engine than the 18/20 but it likes to idle around 750 rpm and a lot of guys prefer the 18/20 because it will idle way down for really slow lake trolling without needing an additonal trolling motor. The weight is not that big an issue if you have the freeboard to support it otherwise you can find that the transom sits lower and you'll take on water during fast shutdowns and when the waves are following.

Don't get me wrong, the Etec is one heck of a good motor but the laws concerning lakes allowing 2 stroke motors is up to the local municipalities and the states/feds stand back. Imagine one year you have a guy on the local board that knows a thing or two and say's no two strokes except the Etec's and then he doesn't get re-elected and the next person doesn't know squat and just say's no 2 strokes. You're SOL... I'd hate to think of how much money it would cost me to have to fish another lake and how long would that lake be open to two strokes... Do you see what I'm saying and why I decided to go 4 stroke even though I really like the Etec's.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

They look for the 3 STAR logo.......... and they know that the ETEC is approved even for the People Republik of Tahoe and other lakes in Communist held Kalifornia....

In general, All the DFI 2 strokes are approved where the carbed 2 strokes are banned

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Blt/index.htm

http://www.boattahoe.com/trparegs.htm

They'll probably never ban the DFI's.

25hp ETEC manual start $2550.00 : http://www.boatwrench.com/EvinrudeE-TEC.html

http://www.allmandboats.com/outboard_engine_prices/etech/

AS much as I just absolutely LOVE my 9.8 Tohat, If I was buying anything bigger and there was an ETEC available, I would probably buy it!

regards,

Rick

Tnriverluver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the links on the Etec! I have to totally agree with the two stroke bans. Even in a free state like Tenn the greenies are slowly starting to get a foothold here and there. My biggest issue with two strokes is with the crappy gas we have today, trying to stabilize oil mixed fuel is now next to impossible for more than a few weeks. I am aware of the oil injection on most newer 2 strokes but what is left in the fuel system during storage can be major issues if carbed. Not sure about injection system issues that may exist.